Monday, October 16, 2006

Review on "Fairest" and Fire

Yes, I'm going to do a review on a book before I continue with my usual ramblings. The book is called Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine, the same person who wrote Ella Enchanted. It takes place in the same world Ella resided, but it's based on the story of Snow White. I must confess that it was very gripping, I couldn't put it down. I wish it was longer and deeper, as it took only a casual day to read. I enjoyed it very much, and Levine has a wonderful imagination and loves to throw in unexpected twists and and turns. I recommend it to all who don't have anything to read, or are reading something so deep and hard, and they need a break...I'd consider this book "brain candy". If you know what that means...

Anyhow, on to my rambling about random things. Today's topic is "Fire" (Supplemented by me ma). Fire...good topic. Fun stuff to play with...until it goes out of control. I confess I haven't told you guys a good story (but short) about my recruiting trip to the U. We went to the Pie on the second day, a scary underground basement/restaurant/bar thingy. Lit candles were everywhere. I was immensely bored, so I started to play with my paper-covered straw. I was seeing how close I could get to the candle without it catching on fire. I turned my head for a split second, and alas! It was burning rather quickly. I frantically blew out the voracious flame, only to scatter it to the other recruit sitting across from me. Apparently it burned on her skin before going out...whoops. I deserved the scowls and looks of annoyance that were directed at me for the rest of the night. All well.
Fire is loverly. I'll leave it at that. (But the story provided doesn't make it sound loverly, but believe me...it's fun to play with...provided you're willing to get burned...)

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

You little pyro.
If I read, I would take you up on that book. Unfortunately I have become illiterate since entering high school.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the review. I didn't know she had a new book out. I'll have to read it some time I have a second--like maybe when I finish grad school. Blech.

Joslynn said...

You must work your magic on Goosy and tell her to come this Saturday.
She will listen to you.