Thursday, October 12, 2006

People make me laugh.

Yes they do.
On announcing that I'm going to visit Washington State this weekend at church last Sunday, everyone told me it's a party school. I asked them how they knew. "From my friends." I politely ask them if their friends have been there. "No, they go to the University of Idaho, which is like, oh, about like, 10 miles away." So I say, "So, you haven't been there...your friends haven't been there...How do you positively know that it's a...'party school'?" They put on an offended face and walk away.
I didn't mean to insult them if I did...I've dealt with this kind of information before. My first day of high school, I was a little nervous. I had heard so many rumors about Kearns... "...It's ghetto..." "...there's a lot of gangs..." "don't get shot!" "...lots of drug dealers..." "...for stupid people..." The last comment didn't scare me, it just made me skeptical of all of the input I got about Kearns. After the first day, I was a little...ornery...how can people immediately assume the all-knowing attitude, and tell you about a place they've never been to? (I know, I know...I'm dangling my prepositions...leave me alone.)
I have learned from this experience. Now, whenever people tell me information, whether about schools, or about...drama they just had to tell me about, etc. I politely ask where they got their information, and if it's from a friend who knows a friend who hasn't even been there...ha! Your information is worthless. Sorry.

4 comments:

Joslynn said...

Actually, it's more like this: Don't go to Washington State. It's far away...
I hope that I am never ignorant like that.

Nedge said...

Okay...I'll try not to go to washington state, even though it's nice to be away from Utah's chaotic bubble. NO one on the swim team are LDS, but they are 120% better than the Utah swim team! It seems like the swimmers on the Utah team want to swear and party hard, so they can prove they ain't mormon, and never plan to be...or something like that...I just don't get it.

Joslynn said...

Me neither.
It kind of makes me mad. Kind of really mad.

Joslynn said...

And to add to my previous comment:
I will never understand how some people can be so hyporcritical, especially concerning important things.
For example, if you knew somebody believed something, because you believed it too, or at least you used to believe it, would you purposely try to get them to go against their beliefs just because you don't want to believe it?
Excuse my rambling. I just felt the comment count on this post had died.