Saturday, October 21, 2006

Life goes by so fast.

While getting ready for bed yesternight, I asked my mom if I needed to get up early for anything. Dad said, "Yes, we need to wake you up at 5 am!" Appalled, I asked why. Mom replies, "Just to look at you." My dad asked my mom where she got that phrase...from her parents? He went on to explain that when he was young, you had to ask to be excused for dinner. Often his father would reply, "No. Stay here. I want to look at you for a while."
It seems only yesterday I was a little girl (yes, I was little at one point in my life) running around, pretending that I was Jungle Girl, swinging from the trees, saving animals.
It seems only yesterday that I finally finished my first book that contained 10 sentences, after much frustration.


It seems only yesterday that I would cuddle with my mom sitting on the heater under a warm blanket in winter as I read her the first few books of the Boxcart series.

It seems only yesterday my dad would be a "monster," lying on the ground. If you sat on his back, and scratched it, he would come alive, and he would try to get you to tickle you.


It seems only yesterday I was at elementary school, a little tomboy oddball who no one wanted to play recess with. I forced the boys to let me play with them. I quickly made friends that were mostly boys. Tackle football behind the aide's back was the funnest thing I ever played, apart from four square with tennis raquets and balls, or hockey with brooms.


It seems only yesterday that I had a conversation with my mom, my upcoming fears for middle school. What if I don't make friends? I don't want to do my hair. Will I find all of my classes?


It seems only yesterday that I was upset because I couldn't find my Yellow Submarine CD, only to find I left it in Mrs. Yates's classroom. 


It seems only yesterday that I started high school, fearing that I'll get shot. Rumors weren't true.


It seems only yesterday that I...oh, wait. That was yesterday...

Looking back on time, and precious moments remembered, I am terrified at how fast time goes. I am already 17 years old! 


Life really is a pop quiz. You are with a bunch of friends in the premortal, then you walk into a room to take pop quiz, trying to get all the answers right. As you take the pop quiz, you notice the people also taking it all arrive at different times, some people get less time to take the pop quiz than others, and each person is unexpectedly told to stop their test, and to exit out of a different door. Then you are told to stop the test, you walk out of the room. You joyfully reunite with friends that finished before you, and wait for others to finish. 


Life is so quick. Enjoy it. Live it.

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

I completely agree.
I have been reflecting on my childhood lately, and I've come to a conclusion: I have changed not at all. I've grown up, but I am still the same Joslynn who ran around on four legs. I'm still the girl who was small, and shy, and filled with imagintaion.
I've changed; but I am still me.
I'm glad you wrote this post.

Brittany said...

Painting walls is fun.

Joslynn said...

I agree with Brittany.
Thank you for the splendid evening Natalie, and the chance for me to show off my not so artistic skills.