Sunday, October 22, 2006

Reliving daily wonders of my childhood

As I walked to church today, the sun was directed at my face. As usual, I kept walking, and kept looking, and kept blinking. But when I blinked...many little childhood things came back to me. I used to be so puzzled as to why when I blinked inside, or in dimly lit areas, it'd be a "black" blink. But when I blinked outside, facing the sun, it was a "red" blink. I remember puzzling over this, only I didn't think very logically as I explained it. All I knew that sometimes I'd blink, and it'd be black, and sometimes red. Y'all probably don't even know what I'm talking about.

What about the rainbow you can see if you squinch your eyes slightly facing the sun? Yes. There is a rainbow. Try it sometime.


What about...staring into the vast blue sky, only to see weird specks floating around, and if you move your eyeballs quickly, those specks move, but at a different rate than your eyeballs? I forgot all about those...until today. Now I'm noticing them more than ever and it's driving me crazy! (do you even know what I'm talking about? There's weird specks of...stuff floating on your eyeball juice, apparently.)


What about just lying down, and watching the clouds roll by?


What about playing in the leaves in the fall, only to realize that pile has been there for a while, and little creepy crawlies are in the leaves?


What about snooping in all the weird corners in your house, knowing every nook and cranny to the speck...only to forget about them a few years later, and even more years later, discover it again...only to sit down and...remember?


What about watching an ant hill, how all the ants work and run and lift?


What about crying hysterically in school and you can't stop, because a teacher had been mean to you, and accused you wrongly?


What about kicking the crackling leaves in the brisk autumn air, without a care in the world?


Where did my childish cute gait go? The one that shows I don't have full control of my limbs yet, the one that says, "I don't know where I'm going, and I don't care if I get there last or first."


What about being amazed by every little gadget you got in your kids meal?


What about the exhilarating joy of being able to finally reach something that you could never reach before?


What about....

I am not, and never will be done growing up.

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

Thank heavens and amen to that!
And, I do know what you're talking about. What about the blue lights in your eyes when you get a flash picture taken? I used to like those too.

Nedge said...

...or fireworks in your eyes when you rubbed them?...Thank you for reminding me about the blue lights...I forgot about those...

Anonymous said...

kjdhfkjdhasf