Thursday, October 11, 2007

Good Morning!

"Good mornin', good mornin'!
We've swum the whole night through!
Good mornin', good mornin'!
It's great to stay up late.
Good mornin', good mornin'
to you and you and you and you!"

Yes, we swam 'til about 1:30 in the morning. Thanks to the late-night workout, I can't fall asleep. And I know it's going to hit me in the head hard today.
But as I was riding back to the dorms, one of my favorite songs from Singing in the Rain hit me. And I started singing it...but no one else really recognized the song except for one person. Too bad nobody really listens (or watches) musicals anymore. I love them! And they apply to many situations.

For example, I really started realizing how poor John Adams felt in the musical 1776. One of my favorite quotes is at the beginning: "I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress!" Also, three or more make a team... our coach made us get into teams by class, seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. Unfortunately, there are SEVENTEEN freshmen, all with different backgrounds, all used to being leaders...we never accomplish anything. Everyone just argues while I go into la-la land thinking about food. But I can't get the food...then I get ornery like John Adams... We've finally decided on a team name after...five days of incessant arguing: "Team Seventeen." Woo-hoo. Made team shirts, and now we have to think up a skit before Friday. And everyone's still arguing about that. On Tuesday, we had to do a scavenger hunt where you have to go to certain places for points and take a picture of everyone there. The catch? We had to drag a lane-line with us everywhere. Another catch? There's seventeen of us. Four cars. Everyone arguing where we should go. Another catch? Everyone wanted to win, so they ignored the fact that we might need something to eat. Went without food for two practices... We did go into the Great Salt Lake. Disgusting. Cold. Smelly. Brine shrimp. Need I say more?

I'll talk more about this week later today. For now, I think I've finally typed myself to the point where I think I can fall asleep. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And did y'all do much of a workout in the salty brine? Some 25 yard underwater pulls.
Did any of the 17 tell John Adams "sit down John!"?

Lauren said...

I agree, no one really watches musicals anymore. What has happened to our generation? And "Singing In The Rain" is a classic!

Anonymous said...

i'm 50 somthing and have never watched Singing in the Rain or alot of other ones. The only musical I ever liked was Fiddler. I don't know how you know the songs anyway because you mostly fast forward through the songs. Maybe you only do that after watching them 15 times. Welcome to the early mornings they've been a part of my life for 30 years!

Tanner's Tales said...

I love reading your stories! It sounds like they are working you hard.

Anonymous said...

Sleep when you can, and eat even more!

Joslynn said...

I watched 'Singin' in the Rain' last Wednesday... and I loved it!

Brittany said...

I love you, Natalie Edge. You've got to be the coolest girl I know, and I enjoy your blogs. Keep up being awesome.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite the adventure!