Thursday, September 06, 2007

First weight training session

What can I say about my first weight training session besides "ugh"?
Well...
It was very hard. Not very much weight involved, more of just body weight, medicine balls, and cardio workouts. My least favorite station was pushing a 45 pound weight on the ground around two cones that were far apart. You had to do three laps. The worst part? Everyone else at their station have to do what they're doing until you are done.
So, it's my turn to scoot that dratted weight on the floor, I finally finish one lap. "Everyone stop!" The weight trainer corrects someone. (If someone is doing something incorrect, we all have to stop and start over.) So, I had to do three more laps. It was hard.
But I didn't get ornery at the person who made us stop. I never know what's going on, especially in a circuit, because everyone's doing something different. I made the team have to start over twice. Luckily, once, the there was no one having to push the weight...
My favorite station was definitely the weird bike-fan. It cools you off as you work. And the treadmills were swell too.
One station I was struggling big time, and I happened to look up, and there was the Coach, staring me down, making me feel incompetent and weak, like I should be doing better. I was doing my best! Grrr...
After completing about 30 different exercises, we all gathered together to do bridges and core stuff. It was extremely hard. About half-way through the circuit, my sight was getting dark, as the darkness was creeping from the outside of my vision gradually closing inwards. I hate it when that happens. I don't think it's a good thing.

Then we hopped in the pool to swim. That wasn't too bad, since we were working mostly on floating. Sounds easy, but he wants straight alignment, and to focus on core. We also did multiple 25's where we run in, dive, do four hard strokes, then flip. We're working on lots of flip turns.

Looking back, I don't think I made much sense to the people who don't swim... all well. Just know that it was hard, and that it was training for training...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you passed your physical! Sounds like way hard training-at least it is only a couple times a week. I don't swim, but it made me tired just reading it!

Anonymous said...

me too, but I still think I should hire you as a trainer. When do you have free time? lol.

Anonymous said...

How do you know couch wasn't just looking on in udder amazement! um on second thought, that wasn't a good thing to say, maybe I should say utter amazement. Or maybe he was self conscious about his lips.

Joslynn said...

I did two push-ups and a sit-up last night.
Does that mean I can empathize with you, Nedgie?

Lauren said...

Nedge, I don't want to sound like a discouraging person, but your coach sounds so scary! Is he ever happy?