Sunday, February 25, 2007

Bollywood

Yes, I pulled a "I knew what it was when I picked it up" moment. While I was browsing around-quickly, mind you-the library, I saw a movie that caught my eye. It was entitled, "Bride & Prejudice, a Bollywood Musical." Unfortunately, I didn't scoff and walk away. I picked it up! And I didn't only pick it up, I actually checked it out!!
It gets worse. I actually watched it.

The first time through, it was confusing and strange.
Here's the bad part: I watched it again, and found that I actually like it...in a way, anyway. I wouldn't buy it or anything... Let's just say I'm facinated with other cultures...(it's based in India.)
I suppose I had such low expectations of it that it actually was better than I thought it'd be...
Maybe I should prepare to watch movies like that all the time...have such below-dirt expectations, that every corny movie will seem good.
Then again, that approach probably won't work with books that I adored. I hate how Hollywood messes 'em all up.
I'm not saying I didn't adore P&P...Let's just say...this movie was so off-course of the storyline, it doesn't seem to do much with P&P, except for the fact that Darcy is really named Darcy...

Have any of you ever done that? Checked out a movie, expecting it to be deemed unwatchable after the first ten minutes, but realized you could keep watching if you wanted to?

6 comments:

Joslynn said...

Oh no! You watched Bride and Prejudice???
Oh no...

Brittany said...

You know, I've only seen one pride and prejudice movie all the way through in my whole life. It was that Mormon one with the pink cover. Is that the one you're talking about? Or is this another one of the million versions?

Joslynn said...

Oh no, Britt. This one is... different.
Like Natalie said, it's based in India, and basically the only similarity is the rhyme of bride and pride and Mr. Darcy's name. However, I did not get past the wedding scene with all the colorful dancers. I just could not take it.
Maybe we should watch the whole thing.

Nedge said...

We should this weekend.
You guys have school on Friday?

Joslynn said...

Nope!
Parent teacher conferences are good for something...

Joslynn said...

"You know what they say: no life without wife."
While singing and dancing around a fountain:(No life! Without wife! Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah...)