Friday, March 02, 2007

The horror! The horror!

I have finally finished a very deep novella, Heart of Darkness.
It was incredibly good. Now I know the true meaning of the words from that famous quote, "The horror! The horror!"
If you haven't read it, I'd highly, highly recommend it. You must take your time, however. I'm sure you could read it in a day if you wanted to, but I'm not sure if you'd grasp the meaning of everything. It took my class a month (if you can call February a month).
Tidbits here and there in the book have changed the way I look at things. Yes. Books do that to me, especially classics. They tend to do that. Broaden your mind to new possibilities, change your way of thinking, change your way of looking at humanity.

Anyhow. Life is pretty consistent for me. Water Polo season is here, yet I'm still wrapping up my swimming season. I have one last big meet up in Seattle. I'm very excited! I get to see the younguns after! Oscar and Poppy, here we come! (Well...not for another week and a couple of days...)

Tew dey I dis koff er ed just how fun it is to spell out ev er ee sill a bell. How ev ah, when you sound out what I type, it does not sound quite right. I shall have to work on this noo faund hob bee.

5 comments:

Joslynn said...

I like the new look! We are reading Heart of Darkness in English right now. I have not finished however, because I began with The Secret Sharer instead and that put me slightly behind.

Brittany said...

I just started reading Heart of Darkness today. What a coincidence. The difference between your class and mine? We're reading it in less than a week, and you guys spent a month learing about it. You'll have to share these insights with me sometime, because I'm positive nothing will be gained from the reading.

Letty said...

Nice look...we can't wait to see you!

Joslynn said...

Ah ha! I have finished The Book of Death at last! I can't say that I took much more away from the novel than what I had when I initially entered it... We shall have to discuss later-- perhaps you can enlighten me with your infinite wisdom.
I'm going to miss you while you're away. I hope you have fun!

Melissa said...

I read it for the first time last semester--along with a boatload of criticism about it. Pretty good stuff, I was surprised to find.