Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Picture of Dorian Gray...and an experience.


I received this lovely book from Emily for Christmas. I finished it a while back, but realized I never blogged about it!
It was a fascinating book from beginning to end. I loved it! If you're making a list of books you want to read sometime, I suggest you put this on the list. I guess I'll give a little short summary of the story, but I will not discuss the thrilling ending, an ending that makes you stare, mouth open, and in shock.
Dorian Gray is a very handsome young man who gets his portrait painted by a friend. As he looks at his picture, he realizes that he will grow old, while this painting looks forever young, innocent, and eternally beautiful. He declares out loud he would give anything to remain young forever, and the picture grow old, and bear the weight of lost innocence Somehow, that very thing happens: Dorian sold his soul for eternal youth and beauty.
When he realizes he is invincible to trials and age, he degrades himself to commit every possible crime there is. As he commits acts more horrible and terrible, his picture grows more hideous and repulsive. Dorian watches in fascination at the picture's degradation, and realizes it is his soul that looks like the rotting hideous face.
That's all I'll disclose. I'm sorry. But the ending was fantastic!


Anyhoo...What else is there to tell you here? Oh, one awkward experience happened to me today...
I walked to church, and realized I needed to go to the bathroom. So when I got to the church, I went about doing my business, only to look up and see a little girl with big brown beady eyes staring at me through the crack of the door. I didn't know what to do! I was very tempted to roar at her and attempt to scare her away. However, I thought it through, and decided her mom is somewhere in the vicinity, and I don't want to embarass myself in some way...so, I just sat there, and eventually she went away.

Woo hoo. Life is interesting.

5 comments:

Rick Edge said...

Another good reason not to pee in public potties.

Joslynn said...

Ha ha! That is just too hilarious... Poor Nedgie! I always knew there was a reason why I avoided public restrooms like the plague.
As for Mr. Dorian Gray... I have always wanted to read the book, but have never gotten around to it. I shall have to add it to my extensive list of books that I have not read and probably never will-- right after I finish the one you already lent me. I am still on page 15.

Joslynn said...

Oh, and I love the new look! You're getting pretty nifty at this template business, eh?

Melissa said...

This book is so twilight zone. That Emily has good taste.

Letty said...

I love the watermelon pic!!! I can't wait for summer...you and the Popster look so similar. I will need to get a pic of her this summer and compare.