Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"Out, out-"

This week has reminded me of Robert Frost's poem "Out, out-". The title itself alludes to the famous passage in Shakespeare's Macbeth:
"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
A fellow peer of mine had a brother who lived in my ward. I didn't know the brother, but he was diagnosed with leukemia. On Sunday, I believe, complications arose, including a brain hemorrhage, and the family made the decision to take him off life support on Monday. He passed away soon after.
He was only 23.
Life is so unpredictable, so uncertain. We don't know when we'll be snuffed away, quite like a candle.
I vow to do my best to live everyday to its fullest, to be the best person I can possibly be, live with no regrets, and most of all? My largest goal is to uplift and better others...


Life is so uncertain. You don't know when your time is up.

Live it!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

It's stories like this that make me grateful for everything that I have. I can't agree with you more Natalie.

Anonymous said...

It also makes me grateful for truth. Makes all the unkowns more tolerable.

Letty said...

Thanks for the reminder. BTW I finished reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" it was a good read. Being however, the optimist that I am, I couldn't help keep hope that somehow he would be reformed. Thanks for the book suggestion.

Lauren said...

Thanks Nedgie Wedgie! That was a thought I really needed to hear. You da bomb!

p.s. did you get a strange e-mail from chris about being background checked?

Anonymous said...

My little girl has already learned the secret of happiness, some of us old people die before discovering it. Do you remember a story I told in Y.W. about a man wanting the secrets of life from his dying mother? She didn't tell him,mummy saying only he would have to find out for himself. You have already discovered the answer. This secret cannot be told to anyone; one only understands when one finds it himself