Sunday, February 18, 2007

Spinsters hear strange things

I was (am) sick yesterday, and I found I felt best if I was up and moving around. But nothing too physically exhausting.
So I drove in the warm car to Joann's, and bought some material, thread, a zipper, and a pattern.
And I cut.
And I sewed.
And I sewed.
Yollered to mom for help.
Sewed.
Sewed some more, with the help from my mom.
And by ten-thirty of last night, I was finished with a blue dress. To wear today. But this post isn't about sewing. It's about the conversations I overheard.

For example:
(Oscar is in green, Mom [aka "Grandma"] in italics. Emily? is in blue)
They were talking about marriage for some reason.
"I'll marry you, grandma"
"You don't have to marry me, you'll meet some girl and marry her."
"Who's Grandma married to?"
"Grandpa!"
(Dad in the background in a gruff voice, "That's RIGHT!")
"Who's momma married to?"
"My dad!"
"Who's Emily married to?"
"I don't know...uh...oh! Carvel!"
"Who's Lindsey married to?"
"Bryan!"
"Who's Megan married to?"
(He gives a blank. I shout out from the other room, "Donkey-face!")
"Oh! Reed!"
"Who's Natalie married to?"
"Grandma."
"No, she's not married yet..."

Later....
Oscar comes running up to me asking "this" was. I turn from my spinster sewing, and look down. I have no idea what it's called. Often he just want to know the name for things and he's fine. But I don't even know the name! I just told him it was a rock used to scrub off callouses.
He needed a better explanation, so I told him that Grandma (mom) gets huge yellow pieces of dead skin on her feet from her work in the garden. That skin hurts, so she uses scissors and that rough rock to grate it off. He looked at me blankly, and ran to Grandma for a better explanation.


Earlier in the day...
I was listening in on a conversation, and this is what I heard...
"So, I come in the car carrying a coke. And Oscar says, 'Daddy, you don't like coke because it has chemicals in it that keeps you awake. But it's okay to drink coke when you're driving...'"
Not bad for a little four-year-old, eh?

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

Nat, it is called a pumice stone, I think.
Babes do say the darnest things. I like this little Oscar character. He's a smart little bugger-- must run in the family.
I don't know if sewing is quite as spinsterly as knitting, but I do find it very impressive that you pieced together a whole dress in one night. That's more than I've ever done in my entire life.

Anonymous said...

dear nat-do you have to tell all my secrets to the blogging world? The yellow thing I cut off is called a corn. It is on one part of my foot and as it gets rubbed during daily walking activities it keeps growing and pushes into my bone. I just do surgery once a month and cut as much as I can off and then it feels fine. As for my gardening feet-its not really gardening, its not wearing shoes with heels so that my heels are exposed to the elements which makes my heels ruff. The pumice stone, if I ever get around to using it makes them more smooth and human looking. As for your feet young woman they are always smooth and clean, kind of like a mermaid. I wonder why

Tanner's Tales said...

I'm glad the pumice stone was a toy in the bathtub this past weekend...I wonder why Willie is throwing up.