Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Learning is fun

As you all have heard, millions of times, the trick question: Do rainforests produce most of our oxygen? No. The ocean does. I've heard this for years and years, and I never knew how the ocean produced "way" more oxygen than the rainforests...did it come from the plants in the oceans? The fish certainly don't produce oxygen...does it come from...? But after today's lecture in marine biology, I now know.

The picture above is the answer. These little one-celled organisms are called diatoms. They are the ones who produce all the oxygen that confused me. There you go.

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

I can't belive you're taking marine biology! The coolest I ever got was AP environmental science, and the only thing I took away from that class was a detailed understanding of the sewage system and college credit.
Yeah!

Anonymous said...

Jos--are we to infer some type of connection between sewage systems and college credits? Hmm.....

Joslynn said...

It was my superior knowledge of our society's sewers that provided me with the ability to write a killer essay on the AP test.
So I suppose there is definitely a connection, of sorts.
Either way infrastructure is a positive thing.