Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Routine, Routine, Routine

Wow. It's amazing how boring life can get, and once your little routine is disturbed, it is either a welcome disturbance, or it upsets you for the rest of the day.
Usually I welcome these little quirks with open arms.
Til yesterday.


I am considering two colleges for school. I can't decide between the two. It is currently the early signing period. It ends tomorrow night. Both coaches called. I asked the first coach if I could wait until the late signing period, would it affect his offer? He said not at all. He would like me to be comfortable and confident with my decision.

The other coach? He pretty much scared me by saying that if I wait for the late signing period, he might not have any money left to offer me. I should make my decision now. Last night. Does he need to send the papers for me to sign? He needed to know last night. I decided to call his bluff. I said that I will probably be deciding in the spring. He reluctantly tells me that they might be able to hold off some money for me. Then he continues to chatter, filling my head with dreams and glory. If I joined his team, the relay would probably make it to nationals. NATIONALS! But after I hung up, I looked deep down inside of myself, and I don't really care if I go to nationals or not. Granted, it would be cool, but still...It's not one of my biggest dreams. It wasn't even on my goal list until he planted it there, inside my head (but after looking in myself, it died, like a miserable weed).

All I want is to swim for a year or two, and be the best I can possibly be. Then I want to go on a mission. Then I'll just transfer to my favorite school in the whole world (which doesn't have a swim team...) and pursue any major I like.

Of course, my mom likes to scare me. "Where will you get the money? How are you possibly going to pay for it?" (concerning transferring to another school where I can have a happy experience) So I guess I will continue to work and save, and who knows? Maybe I'll take the ACT when I get back from my mission and hopefully get a good score like I did last time. (I recently learned that the score "expires" or something after a certain time...is that true?) Then my tuition will be covered. If my wonderful sister still lives up there by that time, maybe I'll impose on her and her family, and live with her, and in exchange? I'll babysit. By the way...is Mom stating a fact: That because I have opportunities to go through college without paying a cent, if I choose to not go, but pay to go elsewhere, she won't help me because I threw my opportunity away? (I'm just kidding mom! I know you would help me! ...right?...right?)

So, yes. Life throws us curveballs. Usually I like them. Until last night, that is. I hope to encounter a happy quirk soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your sister will still be living in that perfect place...I hope I know which sister you are talking about...And she has an empty basement waiting for somebody to come visit, especially since Grandma has vacated her room. But who knows what you will be doing in two or so years, maybe you'll be the one who needs a babysitter!

Anonymous said...

As I was driving home from that perfect place today I pretty much knew which school you would decide on. I realize that I really wanted you to go to byu because I was never good enough and would have liked that experience. I was doing what every parent should not do-living my life through a child. I also thought of the missed opportunity you may have had at nationals and representing our religion. I realized that you had an answer to a prayer and that I had confused you into questioning that answer. Then I thought of writting to couch Crump. I was going to tell him thanks for recruiting my daughter. She is a very wonderful girl, strong in her knowledge and love of our Savior and His restored gospel. I was going to tell him about the time I went with her to do baptisms in the temple. As I watched her come out of the water I wondered what would ever becomce of this daughter that I loved so much. The answer came simply and clearly to my mind. It said- She was mine before she was yours. She has decided not to take the easy road, not to be around kids of her own beliefs but to stand tall and strong and be and example for good to those who may not have the same values. Athough she is younger than me in earth years she is far older. She is able to realize the truely important things in life. She knows this is just a pop quiz and she aims to pass. Thankyou for being my daughter Nat. I won't send a letter to Crump, I'll remember to trust in our Heavenly Father.
Love, your mummy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I just went out to the freezer and opened another 11 oz bag of mint M & Ms. Do you think a bag a day is excessive? This is a great way to communicate, sometimes I don't see you very often. This morning I went to the exchange club meeting. They invited you and a parent to come to accept an award of achievement. I didn't know what the exchange club was but it seems to be a pretty good sevrice club. A group of people get together to try to do some good stuff. One meeting a month they honor a kid as to accomplishments made in light of obstacles. Your english teach Mrs Coon nominated you. She wrote a very nice little piece on you-you should thank her for her kindness. This is what it said: Natalie is an outstanding student as is indicated by her high GPA,her rigorous class schedule, and her excellent class ranking. Scholastically, she ranks in the top echelon of the class of 2007. In the classroom, Natalie is a remarkable student. She is an active learner who desires to understand the complexities of language. Natalie is also an insightful reader who connects with peotry and prose.l I have been impressed with her ability to decipher even the most difficult texts, and I have been excited to watch her as she continues to gain wisdom. Natalie gives her personal best to her studies. Not only is Natalie an accomplished student, she is a young woman who is an accomplished athlete. Natlaie is a championship swimmer and water polo player. She has set several school and state records and she is a leader among her peers. Probably the most admirable thing about Natalie is her pleasnat demeanor. Natalie exudes warmth, integrity, and confidence. She is well-respected among her friends and teachers. I have enjoyed working with this bright, enthusiastic young woman. Natalie Edge is an extremely worhty Taylorsville Exchange Club Youth of the month. I am happy and honored to recommend her for the prestigious award.--Shannon Coon AP English Teacher

Anonymous said...

Natalie- So sorry about double commenting to you. I am extremly new to this and quite old. I have discovered I send it under anonymous and nothing seems to happen and then not wanting to lose all that I just wrote, I send it again under other then discover after waiting and wondering what to do that both have been posted. Perhaps in the future I will learn patience and just hit one and wait. I have tried to delete a post but just can't figure out how. I however know that it can be done since I have seen some posts that say comment has been deleted. Also is there any kind of spell check for posting? I find myself writing a word and then not being sure I spelled it right. So much for getting on in years-enjoy the clear bright mindedness of youth and I'll enjoy maturity. Mummy

Letty said...

Oh...How sweet it is to have so many options and so many people who love you and are proud of you! I wish I had the diffucult choices you have. I'm sure you will make a great choice and bloom whereever you plant yourself!

Anonymous said...

This blogging stuff-it reminds me of telephones when I was but a wee little kid. There used to be one phone to a house(maybe) It was black and quite heavy. It had a dial which is a round thing with holes the size of your finger with letters of the alphabet and numbers. You would put your finger in the hole with a certain letter, turn it then let it go. I still remember my first telephone number-it was HU-50676. Some phone numbers started with IN. Anyway unless you were really rich you had a party line. It was several neighbors on one line. Sometimes you would pick up the phone to use it and someone would already be talking. You could often listen to their conversation which brings me back to the blg. We can all talk together and know what each other tells each other-pretty cool. Mummy

Nedge said...

Hmmm..."exchange club"??? I didn't hear about this. Was it supposed to be a secret or something? :) Anyhow, mom, thank you for the heartfelt notes you have left. They have certainly made my day! I'm glancing out the window of Chris's office, and I notice lauen isn't here yet to do stretches, so I must keep this comment short. I love you very much. (I deleted your doubles, at your request...)

Lauren said...

Nedge! I am so happy for your decision. And I am not just saying this because I go to the school you have chosen, I am saying this because I truly am happy for you! I think you will have a great experience. Plus, I might we could hang out on campus!