Sunday, November 19, 2006

Surprises

Yes. I was very surprised today. It was the usual at church, and I was being dulled by the monotone of the speaker, my dad was "resting his eyes", so I turned to entertain my mom with some Gratitude Grams that I have received. (Many say that I smell...do I?) I hear some shuffling beside me, and I thought, "Oh, great. People to sit next to us, and they have kids!" I turn to take a better look, and to my sheer amazement, it was my brother, his wife, and their kids!!! Some of you may not know, but they live 700-800 miles away. My mom's eyes go wide with confusion, and nudges my dad with her elbow. My dad grunts, thinking she's trying to wake him up, only 'til she nudges harder does he realize we want his attention. He looks over, looking not very dazed. He must've known. I didn't! So now my house is fuller, and noiser, and more complete.

As I walked home from church, I hear sounds of laughter and giggles, and screams. In my head. Whenever I walk home from church, I go through the playground and field of the elementary school I went to. So I remember flashes of memories, of people, phrases, and of memorable moments. I laugh to remember our petty feuds. I remember when I would distract the recess aides so we could play tackle football...etc. Usually the sounds of laughter fade away once I step out of the field and back onto the public sidewalk. Today, they didn't.
There was a terrible boy that I remember as "Donny Boy." He would scare me and my sister, and some other people I walked with. I remember the adrenaline rushes, we had to be very cautious and careful, while one scouted out the next corner. The scout would come back and say "Donny Boy is there. We must run." So we would run. And scream. I remember turning to glance back and seeing a boy with eyes full of hate and rage followed by others, chasing us.
Donny Boy was something I started to look forward to everyday. The terror was something that almost couldn't be endured. Apparently he hated my sister because they were friends, and they were playing out in the snow, and she kicked some snow at him, and hurt him, or something...and he's been mean to us ever since.
Apparently one day, my sister had enough. She cornered little Donny Boy, and grabbed him by the collar. I don't remember what she said to him, but knowing my sister, she probably threatened him in some elaborate way. I remember watching this, confused, and awed. I don't think I will ever forget that.
Years passed by, as they always do, and I went to the store with my mom. As we went through the checkout, I was amazed to see the bagger. It definitely was Donny Boy. For no unknown reason, I was terrified to see him again. I shyly and timidly hid behind my mother.
Nowadays, I have no idea what his real name was, or where he ended up. He will always remain a childhood monster in my memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Donny Boy story reminds me of the bully on A Christmas Story, aka Moody on Anne of Green Gables.
What a pleasant surprise! I'm happy you get to see your family; they make everything so much better.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is that your mom was always clueless. Too bad you didn't tell her, she would have walked home with you and flattened that boy or at least taught you two to give him a good punch in the nose and then run. Maybe you could still do that if you see him. Has anyone heard from Mellissa America? I miss her comments and blog essays. love mummy I just sent this but can't figure out if it went so I'm sending it again!