Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Weird Lips!

So, all y'all are probably wondering, "does Nat even hear the coach at practice?"
No. I don't, not really anyway. Unless he's yelling. That's a different matter.
Reading lips for me isn't that hard.
But with this coach, it is. He's always chewing something or has a toothpick hanging out of the corner of his mouth. This makes his lip formations strange. So strange that it's hard to read.

I decided to ask Ron (the assistant coach) about the Coach. Does he even know I'm slightly...hard of hearing? Ron told me he might have mentioned it to Greg once.
"Why? Can't you read his lips?"
"No. He has weird lips!" Ron laughs, and talks to another swimmer. I turn and talk to my friend Steph. The next thing I know, Stephanie's laughing her head off, and I look to my right, and there's Greg, with a wide-eyed-furrowed-brow-gaping-mouth stare. At me. Ron's chuckling. I put seven and thirteen together. Ron must've told Greg what I said about his weird lips...
What should I say? Should I say something? Do something?

I grin crookedly and say, "well, everyone seems to have weird lips at first. Don't worry. In a couple of weeks, I'll be able to read yours like a pro."
He smiles. I walk away quickly to go get dressed. Now that I reflect, that wasn't the right thing to say...I don't think.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny you are! You are able to act so much like you understand everything that he probably didn't even have a guess about your status. That should be a pretty good compliment to you.

Letty said...

Oh, Natalie...somehow I remember a comment about peoples lips before on your blog! You are so Funny!
You are so great!

Anonymous said...

What is your criteria for weird lips? Lips who look like they've been weirded a lot, or lips you would really like to weird?

Joslynn said...

Hmmm... this worries me.
Do I have weird lips too?

Nedge said...

Mummy-I never know what's going on... If I look like I know what's going on, then all you have to do is smile, and nod your head when the mouth stops moving...

Letty- Thanks.

Lindsey- You're just silly.

Joslynn- you have normal lips. As normal as they come, anyway... j/k.

...AWKWARD! I don't like talking about lips. It's just strange.

Anonymous said...

HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY LIPS!!! JUST FOR THAT, YOU HAVE DOUBLE DRYLAND FOR THE NEXT MONTH!!!

Anonymous said...

ha ha, bet that wasn't really your swim couch, or maybe it was chris!