Thursday, August 23, 2007

More running

I was told we had practice at 6:30 this morning. So, I got up and went to the pool, only no one was there! Luckily, a late swimmer came to grab his stuff, so he told me where I really was supposed to be: right behind my dorms! (Blast not being able to hear!)
So I got there a few minutes late, and they had just started jogging. We jogged right up by the hospital, and up into a trail that leads up into the hills. Soon, jogging turned into walking, and walking turned into struggling. The mountain (hill?) we were climbing was very, very steep. Soon I was in the last of the pack (the people behind us turned around and went back). Luckily, I was with Jen and Kristina, old friends. We finally reached the top, after we've seen everyone coming on their way back. We saw a trail and a bunch of boys that were ahead of us on it. So we decided to go over the mountain, and down this trail.
The first problem we encountered was: how do we get to the trail? It was a bunch of steep craggy rocks, but you could see the trail right there...so we picked out a path to make our way to the actual trail. My only misfortune was that I almost stepped on a sleeping rattlesnake. That was scary.
This path was actually a lot more level and easier, until one point, where it declines quite a few feet over a very short time. Very, very steep. Jen, Kristina, and I found a way to get down, though. I'd like to call it "the human version of penguin sliding." We just sit on our heels, and slide down. It was way fun, strange as it probably sounds.
Now that it's over, I'm okay. But the climb up was ridiculously hard. If I thought mom set tough paces to keep up with...I'm forced to change my mind. Some of the boys jogged or ran up the mountain, and down the mountain.
This is going to be an interesting year.

(I think we probably went about 5 miles, round trip.)

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Though hard, it does sound fun. I would love to run up a mountain just as the sun is coming up. Was it nice outside?

Anonymous said...

Nat--watch out for the r-nakes in those foothills. There are quite a few of them up there.
Glad you got back OK, and that you had company and enjoyed the run, at least parts of it...
It was good to see you last night.
Call you later.

Anonymous said...

Are you sore yet?

Nedge said...

Lauren- yes, it was very beautiful when we got to the top of the mountain. (Pronounced with no "t"...) I really wish I had a camera on me. Then I could've taken a beautiful picture of Ensign Peak for mom. It really does stand out from certain perspectives.

OW-I will most certainly do my best. This morning was very scary because we were starting out going downhill, and I already had all this momentum...ack! I don't want to think about it.

Maddie-What are you talking about? Yet? I was sore after the first day! :)

Joslynn said...

I just sneezed in the library and it echoed. It echoed Natalie!