Friday, August 31, 2007

Bike Ride

As usual, I headed downhill from the dorms on my bike. I saw Queenie (that's the name she goes by in America, since no one can pronounce her real name...). She's from Hong Kong, and she's on the diving team here at the U. She's hilarious and a fun person to be around.
"Hey! Want to give me a ride?"
When I stopped to hesitate, she sat on the platform that sits over the back tire. So I shrugged and decided to see how it goes... The balancing was a little tricky. So I started to ride downhill again, and she told me to go faster, that she was fine. She did this all the time in Hong Kong. Then for about five minutes, it was dead silent. So I thought, "Oh, she probably hopped off to go to her building." The next thing I hear is: "I wish I had a bike!" She was still there!
It was actually really fun. The looks we got from people were amusing. Yes, it is what it looks like. A tall American girl on a big bike with a little short Asian in the back.
Both are laughing and grinning big smiles.

Then I stopped, and she said, "See? I didn't have to walk all that way, and my building is right there!" She smiles and walks off quickly.

I was hyper all day. I wonder if it was because of that cool, pleasure-filled bike ride in the morning. (I didn't have to work at all...all downhill. Just maneuvering around people.)

7 comments:

Letty said...

Too bad there isn't a picture...I'm sure it was great fun! Maybe the banana seat will come back into style and you will be able to lug people around all of the time...on second thought maybe you could get one of those bike carts and have a job of taking students around! Too fuN!

Anonymous said...

plenty of old bikes hanging around the garage. Does she want to use one while she is here?

Anonymous said...

I thought OW would say something like that. If not him, then his wife would give OW's favorite mountain bike to the student. Remember those foriegn guys Mom helped out? Don't we have the best examples of parents!

Rick Edge said...

Does she want a yellow Schwinn Varsity?

Nedge said...

Is it built for a short person?

Anonymous said...

Well, guess I could part with the yellow, but she would have to be sure to lock it up and love it up too! After all it was my friend when I didn't know where the old OW was going to end up. I liked the OW a whole lot but couldn't do anything about it. So I would ride the old yellow to Draper and back. I can't remember how many many miles I rode that old bike without even 1 flat. I never even knew you could get a flat, never heard of a pump or tire fixin stuff.
That bike ride sounded fun, as kids we used to do that kind of stuff all the time. Sometimes someone would ride on the handlebars, sometimes they would sit on the seat and you would have to stand up all the time. I have to admit, however, that the bikes back then were much more sturdy and very heavy. Big old fenders and kickstands, lights and horns and reflectors. No helmets though, they weren't invented yet. No spandex and padded pants either, but that was because the seats looked like tractor seats with padding! Guess I better get back to work-see ya in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Your friend from Hong Kong sounds adorable. There is nothing better than a bike ride with a friend-- sitting on the back of your bike.
I wish I could meet her.