Friday, July 06, 2007

Stupid Reality





I had huge dreams that I was going to become a chemical engineer. I was going to take difficult classes and take on new ideas and use my brain to solve problems!


Enter Reality:

"Hey, you do realize you're probably going to get married and have kids, you know."


"Yes, but so what?"


"Well, being a chemical engineer...what jobs out there with that degree will allow you to be a proper mom?"


"Uhhh....dang."




Earlier this week I had a conversation with a friend who has already gone to college for a year. Beginning college, she wanted to be (i don't know what, enter some complicated term here _______.) But she changed her mind. She decided she wanted to be a health teacher. I asked her why. "Well, it'll sound really corny to you, but I want to be able to spend time with my family, to spend the summer with them..."


And now, I will try to be more sensible...and become a teacher of some sort. Hopefully chemistry or math. That's a more-mommy-oriented job. I can enjoy the summer with my kids and be home when they're also home...


There's nothing wrong with being a teacher.

8 comments:

Letty said...

Why not do chemical engineering and then a teaching certificate?? Then you could teach science.
In fact Rickster was debating becoming a teacher after law school...or law school. He decided he could probrably provide for a family better on a law degree...not that teaching isn't rewarding...just a thought

Letty said...

Ooops...I meant that he was deciding between teaching and law school...

Joslynn said...

Nedgie,
Teaching is one of the most noble professions available-- and it is constantly in demand. You could start off being a hotshot, and then when you finally settle down you could spread your knowledge to others. There truly is nothing better you could do with your education. I think you could be a very influential and inspiring teacher to many, many people. I also think you would make an excellent chemical engineer.

Lauren said...

You could be an A.P. English teacher. Hmmm....... Don't listen to that crazy friend. Do what YOU want, what you really, really want.

Tanner's Tales said...

Reed says you should become a cop, it's lots of fun. You get to carry a gun and a badge, and you can work the graveyard shift so you can be home with your kiddies

Anonymous said...

a mommy? You are really bending my mind, how could my little baby have a baby?

Anonymous said...

You know what Nat? I was thinking about what Micah could be in life and I realized something. Its really not about the profession that you choose. Its about who you are and your hear. As long as Micah (you) has a good heart, he'll turn out all right, even if he is a garbage collector right up to a nuclear physics. Spell check all that.

Melissa said...

Maybe this is bad advice, but I'd tell you to go ahead and do whatever it is you most want to do. Teaching is actually one of the most time-consuming, challenging careers you could pick. I'm not saying its not worth it--and getting summers off is, indeed, awesome--but a lot of other careers might work just as well (or better) for a working mom. Teaching is something you really have a passion for doing in order to survive. And, speaking from personal experience, you don't always know what the future holds. I'm satisfied with the choices I made in school, but I kind of wish I hadn't been so influenced by other considerations. Now, I realize that my options were only as limited as my perceptions.