Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Running Around the U

I drove to the TRAX, only to miss the train by a literal two seconds. I hastily bought my ticket, and ran to the train, pushed the button for the doors to open, but, alas! They didn't open. And the train took off.
So I got to wait for only fifteen minutes for the next train. Then I was off towards downtown. I successfully made it to the U, only to scamper about searching for certain buildings. I did have a map, but no sense of direction, so I had a difficult time.
I finally found the Henry Eyring Building, the building full of chemistry.
After realizing the building is more like two interconnected buildings, I finally found the academic advisor's office. He wasn't there. So I waited around in the hallway. A tall man in coke-bottle glasses greeted me with, "Do you want to graduate?"
Appalled by this question, I meekly said yes, and followed him into his office. He looked confused. I started the conversation by saying that I'm thinking about majoring in chemistry. He asked me what classes I've done so far...he didn't realize that I was a brand new freshman. He assumed that I was a junior or at least a sophomore.... well, I guess people learn new things everyday.
He talked to me about chemistry majors, and how wonderful they are, and that if I graduate with a chemistry major, I'm very welcome to join the research team there, etc., etc., etc.
Then he asks me what background I have. I told him I got a two on my AP chem test...he looked a little disturbed. "So, what would Mr. Statler tell me about you?"
Uh....
Anyhow, I told him I needed a little bit of help getting the classes I need because they're all full. He proceeds to do it on the computer then and there, but the power went out in the entire building. Which is apparently not a good thing because there are labs and experiments in progress, and the ventilation system is down, and some experiments might go awry without the proper power to keep them going...
So he writes down my name and number on a sheet of his "high-tech paper" and the classes I need.
I hope I get them...his office is very cluttered and unorganized...that paper with my name and needs on it may never resurface...

2 comments:

Tanner's Tales said...

I remember the first time I went into the my math advisor's office. Same sort of experience. He was just kind of all over the place-but he is so great and I learned a ton from him, so don't count him out yet! Good luck

Brittany said...

I am a fan of Tom Richmond. Not going to lie...