Friday, December 26, 2008

Youngest

I had to steal this picture from Meg. This is a picture of Sammy, taken by Sara(h?). This picture fits this post perfectly.

Being the youngest has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to compose a long tedious list about the pros and cons, but simply a post about nothing or something.

One of the wonderful things about having my siblings over for the holidays, whether it be Thanksgiving or Christmas, is to see them and their kids. More than seeing them, I get to observe them a bit. Yes, I observe, even though I'm always reading or staying in a corner.

To watch the way my siblings look at their spouses (or vice versa) is just so cute. I think it's wonderful that everyone has found their other self, their other half, and they work as best friends, as partners, in bringing children into this world, to protect them, to teach them, to raise them.

It's fun to observe mom and dad, especially since they know each other so well, to see them tease each other, to "bicker" in a loving way. To enjoy each others' company.

It's fun to play with the nephews and niece, to watch their wonder, imagination, and playfulness, to watch them learn little (and big) lessons of life. To watch Sammy and Carter work on smiling, being cute, crawling, lifting those unproportional heads. To watch Willie and Micah work on sharing, playing together. To see Oscar grow so big, so curious, so smart. To see Poppy (the lone girl of the group) be sassy and sweet.

I think families are awesome. I see that everyone in my family all has that one essential ingredient to a happy family: charity. I see it in the way they treat each other and their children. Thank you so much for your good examples!!!!

I'll have my own one day, but it won't be too soon. I'm not selfless enough yet. Nor mature. I'll wait until I have more of both. Oh, and I probably have to meet someone to make the equation work, right? :)

4 comments:

Letty said...

Love the pic...he is so cute! As for you...you'll find someone. Humm...I'll keep my eyes open.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this heartfelt blog. Nat, it takes a lot of work to make it work--learning all this "mom" stuff is a process. Find someone who you can work with. Playing with someone is fun, looks are come-hithering, but find that work-ability! Enjoy your sinlge years, its a chance to develop and prepare. And Nat, thank you for being such a great Aunt. Bryan and I were talking about how fun it is to see you volunteering to hold, feed, and play with Carter and Sammy. Who'd thought?

Tanner's Tales said...

It was fun to be home for Christmas. You were great at feeding Sammy :) You are not supposed to be observing while you're reading or playing your games...I'll have to be more careful next time. Thanks for being so great!

rochelle said...

Nedge, I loved this post! I think you are wise beyond your years, and VERY selfless. Don't underestimate yourself. The fact that you observe these things is wonderful.