Monday, December 08, 2008

Stream of consciousness during a physics midterm.

Focus, focus....steady....

Wow, what's that it in my hand? A cool mechanical pencil. Green. Has a good quality eraser. I love erasers. And...huh, the desk seems really blurry with this yellowish paper on it. Why do I feel that this paper is important? Focus...ah! Heh. It's my physics test they wouldn't let me take on Wednesday because the professor felt that it was too early to take it it was originally set for Friday but I told them I was going to Princeton. I told them a week and a half in advance, yet the test wasn't quite proof-read and printed for me to take it on Wednesday. Professor felt like Monday was too late though. So right after a bleary weary fun long swim meet with prelims and finals for three to fourish...or was it five-ish days? After waking up 4 AM on monday morning eastern time, traveling about 7 hours, I had to go straight to the physics building to make up this test. A test? Oh yeah, while my brain was playing around with how frustrating the situation is, I haven't even started the test. And I had to miss all the reviews for the test that are usually very helpful in learning how to actually apply the material we learned. Hmmm.... Oh yes, the test is still sitting in front of me. Hmmm...let's try playing around with this equation here, and see if I come up with a remotely correct-sounding answer. Who throws a wad of gum at a cylinder rotating on the z axis anyway? And we have to assume so many things. Not practical. But makes things simpler, I suppose. A sphere rolling down an incline. Assume it never slides, only rolls. Doesn't make sense. Gravity will cause the sphere to slide a little bit, even if it's the smallest fraction. Wow, my brain does not feel connected to my body. Just jumping all over the place. Ah, there's the proctor. Oh, only six minutes left? And....two of five problems I haven't even started on, let alone looked at? Great. Just great.
C'mon brain!

(grinding gears, stalls)

C'mon!

(engine comes to life for an instant, stalls once more)

NOOOOOOO!
(turns in test, don't even remember much until after waking up from a two-hour nap in the dorms....until now....)


Wow, some days can be a bleary shmeary blur where it passes right by you, yet you remember not much.

Oh, great. Now I just reminded myself of one of my favorite classes I took at the U. A literature class, we read Virginia Woolf's book "To the Lighthouse." It was pretty much all in stream-of-consciousness format. So confusing at first, yet so rewarding at the end. Now I want to go back to majoring in english. I'll minor in math. Think that'd go well? Nah. Me neither. Hm. I do know I want to teach. I also know I'd have fun teaching math, english, and physics. Would it go over strange if I majored in teaching english, and got a master's in math or physics? Yeah, yes it would. Now I'm just babbling at the end of a rather long, disappointing, and endless post. My apologies. I will think up something genius next time! Perhaps a poem?

4 comments:

Copper Hills Swim Team said...

NEDGE!!!!!!! THIS IS EMILY!!!!!!!
craig says hi! :) my swim coach likes looking at your college workouts! :O oh no. :D :D

mad dog said...

Wow, that's what my brain feels like all the time.

Congrats on the special award at the meet! That is so cool!

I'm still waiting to see the results! (I can't find anywhere that's posted them yet.)

Anonymous said...

For some reason I think you are sounding like Card. Sometimes he is so way out there, I don't know how he imagines some of this sci-fi stuff!

Letty said...

Poor nat...sorry about the test but great job at the meet.