Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thirteen minutes

I came home for a little rest before work.
I checked on the chickens and found only two. The white one was missing. The white one's six months old, and can easily fly to the top of our wood fence, when pressured. I couldn't find it anywhere. I decided to give up and go downstairs where it's cool.
I entered my room and heard some really loud chirping. At first I thought mom put the chicks in my room as a joke. But then I realized where I've heard that sound before. It was a baby robin stranded in my window well!
I call daddy asking him what we fed the last baby robin we aided. He told me to just take it out and see if the parents take care of it. Sounded good to me. BUT...as I was talking to him on the phone, I discerned a white chicken silhouette strutting around in the yard behind ours. I run up to make sure, and an older man was outside watching it and trying to feed it...He said I could come over and try to catch it. He seemed reluctant, like he wanted to keep it.
I rode my bike over and caught it and threw it over the fence.
Then I rode home, jumped into the window well to free the little baby, who shrilly got mad at me, and before I knew it, I was being attacked by two adult robins. I go for a second attempt, because I dropped him because I was startled... Second attempt was successful! The baby can fly, but can't fly straight up, hence why he was stuck in the window well in the first place.
I go into the back yard to make sure the chicken survived.
It did.
And left a white warm present for me to put in the fridge.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were lucky to have caught that white flier so quickly, it took me an hour yesterday in a neighbor's yard. How did those nice fresh eggies taste? It seems sort of weird to eat them, kind of like you're eating someone's kids or something. On another subject-does't your mummy smell delicious? Sitting around a fire 2 evenings in a row. Its the one time I feel like just sitting and enjoying. If you sit in the house it feels like you should be doing something

Rick Edge said...

You are all fowl.
(There. Now somebody said it and we can all move on.)

Anonymous said...

You calling me chicken?

Lauren said...

Why is it that you are trying as hard as you can to please the animals, and in return they attack you?

Joslynn said...

I am well experienced in the art of bird-catching, Nedgie.
The other day I picked up a baby Magpie. I'm afraid that it had the bird flu. It was the sickest thing I've ever held in my hands, and it screamed at me the whole time.
I washed well, needless to say, and I hope you did too.

Brittany said...

I hate magpies. And eggs. But I didn't hate this post!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures on the top of your blog are awesome. We need to go to the mountains very soon!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it illegal to keep fowls in your yard?

Mrs. Wilson