Sunday, May 13, 2007

Eyes

Well, well, well.
I did my second shift of lifeguarding in a long time yesterday.
And guess what?

I jumped in to do yet another rescue.

Am I cursed with drowning people, or blessed to be a hero in some little kid's eyes?

I think the first.

There are many guards on the staffs who are yet older than I, worked longer than I, but have never rescued anyone. I seem to be forced to do it every time on the stand.

I think I overanticipate. I've learned to look at the eyes of the patrons I'm watching. There's something unique about eyes. They just can't lie when it comes to mortal fear.
Everyone that I watch and scan over have different expressions on their faces. Except for the occasional person struggling to swim.
At first their eyes give a look like, "this isn't happening!"
Then they try to appear like they're just fine....
just wait for it...
The terrified gasp arrives, and thrashing happens, and the eyes tell all.
Don't be distracted by the embarassed smile...trying to cover it all up. The lips lie! The eyes tell all!

That's when I come in.
And yank 'em out.
Woo hoo.

10 comments:

Rick Edge said...

You should write a book.

What's up with the "well, well, well"'s? Isn't that what you say when you are about to leave?

Lauren said...

Nedge, you are definately a hero in my eyes. :)

Anonymous said...

don't you give them a lecture after you yank them out?

Anonymous said...

The only look I can pull is the gooey, sticky, look of love.
(gives look)
Are you in love yet?

Anonymous said...

Please replace the 'I' with 'we.' We are two persons. Do you know who we am?

Nedge said...

Unfortunately, Tweedles, I have no clue who you are...
Fortunately, Tweedles, I'm not in love yet...:)

Linds, Yes I do. This kid made me wonder if he has a brain. After I finished all the paperwork and set him free, he asked if he could go off the diving boards. I gave him a very stern "no!"

Melissa said...

Making the world a better place--one hooligan at a time.

Anonymous said...

Hey! My name is NOT Tweedles, and neither is Tweedle Dee's. Get it right man!

Nedge said...

Well, I will persist in calling you Tweedles...maybe I'll make it so anonymous people like you can't post comments!!! Bwa ha ha ha!

Staples said...

I totally agree. A little lad jumped in. Through his eyes he looked scared to death. I jumped in. THe mother who was very mean was talking loud and sayin... HE LOOK FINE TO ME. I told her the look on his eyes... he was scared out of his mind. PEOPLE> ugh