Friday, May 18, 2007

The last day that she's living?

I believe Dax is dying.
Let me clarify: Dax is a dog. Dax is the family's dog. She is sweet and tender and kind. (not to rabbits, though.) I think the only other time I've talked about her was when she ate my rabbit. That was a sad, gruesome day...

Why I think that Dax is dying is this: She was running about yesterday having fun...but today? Mom said that she can't even get up.
Being curious like all humans are, I ran outside to see.
Looking at her made my heart break. Her body is positioned like she just fell over, she doesn't have her left rear leg tucked under her body as she always did... And she is weezing with every breath, trying so desperately to live...
I regret the grudge I held towards her for eating my rabbit.
Her eyes are slightly hazy and glazy, but there's a glint and a glow of some determination to fight to the last breath.
Why fight? Why not just accept it? Is there anything else that dog wishes to live for?

Hmmm....



THE LAST night that she lived,
It was a common night,
Except the dying; this to us
Made nature different.

We noticed smallest things,—
Things overlooked before,
By this great light upon our minds
Italicized, as ’t were.

That others could exist
While she must finish quite,
A jealousy for her arose
So nearly infinite.

We waited while she passed;
It was a narrow time,
Too jostled were our souls to speak,
At length the notice came.

She mentioned, and forgot;
Then lightly as a reed
Bent to the water, shivered scarce,
Consented, and was dead.

And we, we placed the hair,
And drew the head erect;
And then an awful leisure was,
Our faith to regulate.
-Emily Dickinson




Update: 15 minutes after I originally published this...Dax said goodbye to this world.
I hope she's havin' fun!

3 comments:

Letty said...

OH, Poor Dax! I'm sorry. Does Fly seem lonely without her?

Nedge said...

Fly seems...lost.
She misses having the Alpha around to tell her what's going on, what to do, what she's doing wrong...
I took her on a walk, and she absolutely refused to leave my side, even when I said the usual command that meant she was allowed to!
She seems more wimpery at night too.
Bleah.
Mummy says no new friend for her, no new dog.
Is she turning into G-ma? J/k.

Joslynn said...

I'm very, very, very sorry to hear about your dog, Nedgie.