Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Detective

The name's Norman.
Abby Norman.

I can find 'em all. You just tell me what color. White, brown, black, or purple. I can find them even with the scantiest of clues.
Catching them, however, is a different story. They're flighty little buggers. Fortunately, they aren't very smart. They think that hiding behind a daisy or a tree stump will hide their bodies. Fortunately for us humans, we can outsmart them. And catch them. And dump 'em in the jail.

My mom and dad told me we got them. I was excited. Until I went out to find them, and there wasn't even a sign that they had been there. I searched for fifteen minutes, with the assistance of my dad. Not even a glimpse of them.
Then I figured that Ma and Pa were pullin' my leg. We didn't really get them. They're just pulling a prank on me today.
So I go rustle the dog house.
Lo! And behold! A flash of white sent me yelping, "thar's one! Thar's one!" It ran and showed the true glory of their species. Dad went after it.
I continued to look. I looked under the wood pile. A brown one. We successfully captured that one as well.

But the black one. Now that was an elusive bugger. She was a wild one. Not tamed yet. We never did find her. We thought that she escaped. However, an hour or so later, we hear panicked calls. And Fly is nowhere in sight. Fly must've cornered that criminal! I look through the raspberry bushes for the hundreth time. I part the bushy bush in front of the first row of raspberry bushes. I peer inside. I see a tree stump. But I also see a black hue hiding behind it. I holler at the master catcher, and Dad easily picked it up.
It let out throaty, ugly, hoarse calls.
Dad lowers it for Fly to look at and sniff. But before Fly can get too close, the black thing tried to attack her!

Yes, we finally got chickens.
I would take a picture of them, but I have no idea where my camera is!
Any ideas for names? There's a wild black one, a tame white one who is very intent on escaping, and a very nice brown one.

We also have five chicks, although one has an infection and will probably die soon. Ack!

Shh. Don't tell anyone. We never looked to see if it's legal to have a couple of hens.

4 comments:

Letty said...

You could name one Babe, Charlotte, and Templeton...oh wait that is the wrong story. Myabe then Fly would like them more.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey the clipper fixed that white one, at least on one side. If it escapes again she'll fix the other side. So you beware!

Joslynn said...

Bobby MaGee, Lucy Sue, and Ben.

Joslynn said...

And yes, I know Ben is a boy name... not anymore! Bwahaha!