Sunday, April 29, 2007

Swimming Cellphone

Yesterday I decided to lifeguard. Please note, I haven't guarded in over eight months. So it was my first day back.
I rode my bike to work (very nice ride!) and changed into my lifeguard uniform. I did a rotation. Then I realized I was hungry, but didn't have any money to my name. So I texted Daddy...and unconciously-subconcsiously slipped the phone in my pocket.
Two hours later, I notice a little lad of about seven years to his name bouncing up and down frantically. The water level was just above his head, and he was grinning. His grin confused me...If you're smiling, you're okay, right? Wrong. You gotta look at the eyes. He was scared, when you looked at his eyes. So I yelled to him (just to make sure), "Hey, are you okay?"
And he shakes his head no.
So I jump in (the water came up to my waist, so I was alright...) and pick him up and carry him to the shallow, telling him that he's going to be fine. I asked him what happened. "My sister dared me to go out there...I got out too far, I guess."
So.
A silly rescue. Should've just made him hop to higher ground to teach him a lesson. (Of course I'm joking!)

And as I walked him to the first aid room to do some paperwork (so people can't sue us), my shorts started vibrating like crazy. My phone! I pull it out. The screen's blank. I hurry and open it up and pull out the battery, because the vibrating was scaring me. I glance at the sticker, and it quickly turned red. (Which means I can't get a free replacement.)

So I pulled the phone all apart, and let it dry for a few hours. And now? The surgery was successful. My phone works. Yay! (Sarcastic "yay" because now I'm still easy to reach...)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Your phone works! Wahoo! Maybe I should celebrate by texting you! Except that I am way slow at texting and I really have to go to the bathroom.....I mean to "study."

Joslynn said...

Ah, your phone works after completely being submereged in dirty pool water-- yet further proof of miracles.