Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Poisonwood Bible

Stunning. Astonishing. Gripping. Homework.

Homework it was, but it didn't really seem like it. I enjoyed it immensely. If you are keeping one of those lists of books you'd like to read, I'd suggest you put this on the list (if you haven't already read it).
The story is about a Baptist family in the 1960s, going on a mission in Congo. The dad is pretty much an idiot, a hypocrite proclaiming repentance to a timid and kind people he doesn't understand. The oldest daughter is very worldly, only cares for the latest trends. The twins were interesting. Leah is a tomboy, but Adah...Adah was my favorite character. She suffered from...(can't remember scientific term...hemo...something) but in short, Leah got all the nourishment in the womb, and Adah got little. Because of that, Adah is only a "half-brain"...she has full control of her left side, but her right is crippled. She reads books backwards. She has an interesting mind. Ruth May, the youngest, is a girl of determination. Orleanna, the mother, is very afraid of tropical diseases, but feeds the family and keeps them together.
My favorite thing about this book was the fact that it was told by everyone, including five-year old Ruth May. Nathan (the Father and Preacher) had no say whatsoever in this book. This novel was told by five women. You got to look deep into each one's personality, and see through their eyes. The variety of perspectives gave you an unbiased look at their experience.
A must-read at some point of your life.

I must admit one con...the last 80 pages just seemed to drag and were rather tedious.

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

Definitely going to add this one to my list-- I remember when you first started it you told me a little about it. I was intrigued.
I hate how the number of books I should read keeps growing and accumulating. I probably should have tackled that over Christmas break...
Good job Nedgie! I admire your reading skills, and I wish I could imitate them.

Melissa said...

Yeah, a great read. I also liked Adah--fascinating.

Lauren said...

Poisonwood Bible = Definately one of my favorite from Mrs. Coon. Especially Ruth May. She was so funny!