Sunday, December 17, 2006

Mischief

I was in a very delicate situation. It was late at night, and a half-inch of snow blanketed the ground. Doyle and I had snuck into Josylnn's backyard. We contemplated at how to surprise her. Her family were all awake and hopefully were being loud, so we could prevent ourselves from being heard. We wanted to surprise Josylnn when she was in her room. But to my dismay, her room is on the third floor, with a private balcony. And Doyle was determined to get up there. We had moved a table, put a chair on the table, and Doyle nimbly and quickly got onto the roof, over the railing, and onto the balcony. Now it was my turn. I have to admit there are three things I hate: heights, climbing to them, and snot. I stood there in the cold, in disbelief that Doyle wanted me, the clumsiest oaf ever to walk the earth, to climb onto the roof and onto that balcony. I stared up at her with my soggy present in hand. I handed her my present, and I set to work. My hands were numb, beyond feeling, and Doyle's gloves weren't really helping. They actually made things slipperyier ( I know that's not a word. I like to make words up.). As I finally got my hold onto the railing, I realize that it's a wobbly railing. Plus, the railing is nice and tall, not easy to swing my legs over. Soon, I found myself stuck on top of the swaying railing, terrified, while Doyle impatiently tells me to hurry up. I look down, realizing I'm almost three stories in the air, and one bad step or hand placement would probably put me in pain, let alone get me shot for terrifying Josylnn's family... I pray for the ability to balance myself just this once, and I bravely swung my other leg over, and alas! I made it!
The timing couldn't have been more perfect. Josylnn just finished showering, and the next step was for her to go to her room. And there she was! She called us, and we asked her to open her back door. I chuckled at the look of confusion on her face, then I loudly hop over to where she can see us.
The look of surprise and astonishment and anger was all worth it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's get one thing clear Natalie Edge: I was not angry! I was shocked. How would you feel if you were wearing a bathrobe, walked fully exposed into your bedroom and discovered that your two favorite people in the whole world had been spying on you the whole time?
That's what I thought.
However, I was delighted to see you, despite the circumstances, and I felt extremely awful for keeping you out in the cold for so long while I indulged in a hot shower. You have no idea how awful.
Thank you for coming to visit me. I really am just a big baby.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and your acrobatics of the night were simply stunning. I investigated your means of climbing and was amazed that you both did not fall to your deaths.
Last night was monumental. It will go down in the history books for sure.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday dearest!

Anonymous said...

I wish we could have visited you but my parents were sticklers concerning the roads and all that. I had a hard time coming at all. Still, I hope your birthday was delightful and wonderful.
Be thinking of how you, Doyle, and myself can celebrate. Birthday bash for Natalie!

Lauren said...

Yes Happy Birthday Nedgie Wedgie!

By the way, is Joslynn's house the reason you left the underware party so early? I'm telling Meganagan!

Brittany said...

That was seriously one of the coolest things I've ever done. It's definitely up there with the Skycoaster. Nothing like climbing around in the freezing cold. We are too cool...literally.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the reason I left the underwear party was because my back was immense pain, thanks to everyone jumping on me and increasing the pain...
The underwear party was on FRIDAY night.
My escapade was on SATURDAY night.

Joslynn said...

Since when have I been anonymous?

Nedge said...

I don't know. It's very weird. I think it happened when I finally decided to upgrade my account to "beta" just so it would stop pestering me to do so...

Joslynn said...

The only irksome thing about blogger beta is how it makes me sign in each time I leave a new comment. Does it do that to you? I do like changing the color scheme on my template though...