Thursday, December 14, 2006

how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

After receiving my schedule for second semester, I knew something was terribly wrong. I was enrolled in three classes, two of them credit earning. I was supposed to be enrolled in at least six classes...but after fixing it, I ended up with eight.
Yes, after much contemplation, I decided I'm going to try calculus once again. I have found this year that I'm missing math. So much that I try to do weird problems mentally. Only they don't work. I don't know how to write problems, and after last night, I don't remember how to solve them either.
So, I will be studying hard over the holidays and the few weeks before second semester starts. I hope I will be caught back up by then. If I'm not...all well...I'll work all the harder, right?
So, calculus, how do I love you?
1. Your problems seem to apply to real life. (Wow, a ladder slipping, and sliding away from the wall...I wonder how fast it's slipping? Let me write down a problem, and I'll figure it out!)
2. You make me feel intelligent when I can successfully tell you where there is a "hole" in a function, or the limits...but I'm afraid a very little amount of people care where limits are on a curvy, wavy line...
3. You help me kill time I don't have with your incomprehensible mysteries.
4. You make me appreciate mathematicians.
5. You give me more knowledge on how to manipulate a TI-calculator.
6. You give me more knowledge, period.

But, I'm afraid, calculus, that you make me cringe in one area: The AP test itself. Then I begin to hate you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then don't take the AP test. Just take the class to learn calculus! Or, maybe after taking it a second time, you will decide that you love it and it isn't too bad, so you will take the test. Calculus was so much fun! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I wish I loved calculus.
I wish I loved a lot of things.

Anonymous said...

When are you going to have ANY time to yourself, crazy girl! When are you going to do homework? Between swimming, coaching, and school I never get to see if you are alive and now when you are alive you will be doing homework. Crazy. I am trying to think of a supportive way to end this comment but all I can think of to say is crazy. Crazy crazy crazy.

Anonymous said...

Imagine--taking a class in high school just because you love it? Absurd, unthinkable....

Lauren said...

You make me laugh! The best part about taking calculus, is that you get Mr. Lake again! Mr. Lake: One of the craziest teachers ever!

Anonymous said...

I had a comment for utefan but couldn't send it because I can't remember all that password stuff. Tell her to let anonymous and other comment!