Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Writing ex. 2

Stark white fully describes the house on Paradise Street. Everything is neatly trimmed, nothing out of place, except for the little blemish in the southeast corner of the yard. A pair of brown eyes peered out of the window, staring at the flawed corner, puzzled.
Mom tells me that the sun is bad. It can give me skin cancer and turn me all brown. That’s why I don’t look out the windows often, and that’s why the blinds are always down, except for when I’m peeking out the window. I like peeking out the window. There’s so much out there! I close the blinds. The house is white inside. White paint, white carpet, white ceiling, even white couches! Mom says its that way because white is clean. My favorite spot in the room is the white couch. It’s in the middle of the room, surrounded by the air filters. They hum. Mom tells me they get rid of all the bad bacteria and dust that makes people sick. I hear being sick isn’t fun. I wonder what it’s like. I don’t ever go outside because there’s a lot of bad stuff in the air, not to mention the sun. Plus I could fall and get a bloody scrape. That wouldn’t be fun would it?
I see kids outside all the time. They must have terrible mothers. Moms don’t let their kids get sick or hurt. They should stay inside. They could DIE! But none of them have died yet. Maybe the blonde girl will. She’s always jumping up and down, with a rope swinging around. Maybe it’ll swing up and choke her to death. Or maybe that brown haired kid. He’s always riding this thing with two wheels. Maybe it’ll flip him over and EAT him.
Outside in the corner of the yard there’s a new weird creature living there. It was never like that before. Only green fuzz on the ground. It’s big and brown, and it has this mouth full of drool. I can’t figure out where its eyes are. I want to see what it is, but that means I would have to go OUTSIDE. If I go out there, I could DIE. But it’s so strange, so compelling. It has this weird scaly fur. I MUST see what if feels like. Mom’s in the kitchen making carrot cookies. If I was ever to go outside, this would be the time to do it!
I opened the blinds all the way. My eyes hurt so bad. The sun is nasty evil. I slowly opened the window. It was really loud and creaky. I don’t think it’s ever been opened before. Air rushed in! I’m already poisoned by the bacteria and pollen! I have no choice, but to proceed. Jumping out the window quietly was easier than I thought. The green fur felt so cool. Spiky, and it smelled like something I never smelled before. It smelled like...like…God. The creature's mouth is still gaping. I wonder if it’s DYING.
I slowly approach it, because I don’t want to scare it off. It doesn’t even twitch. Standing right next to it, I see that it’s already dead. There was nothing I could do to save it. Must’ve been that nasty bacteria that done killed it. I poke at its skin. My finger gets stuck inside, letting out a soft popping noise when I withdraw it. I see my reflection in the drool. Soon my face gets bigger and bigger and bigger… and I am in the creature, the creature is in me! Soft cool wet fur surrounds me and I it. I start having a hard time breathing. Almost as if I’m hyperventilating. But it feels so good! If this is what dying from bacteria and germs is like, then it isn’t so bad. Why am I having breathing problems? And why do they feel so darn good?
“Fanny! You get out of that mud this instant! You’re going to get sick and die! And we don’t want that, do we? And why are you laughing so hard?” My mom is really red. Maybe if I get some of this creature fur on her, she’ll hyperventilate too. I sling a mudball at her. Splat! It hits her right in the face. And I keep hyperventilating with loud “ha ha ha ha ha’s.”

No comments: