Sunday, March 29, 2009

Grandma




So, as I was trying to finish up some math homework, I started to think about things other than math.




I love the author of Frazz. I think Jef Mallett does a wonderful job of combining humor, wit, and true life. He really understands humans, I feel.




The particular strip on this page reminds me that even though Grandma K wasn't really "with it" the last couple of months, I don't have to choose to remember her that way. Or to remember looking at her glazed-over-eyes and blank face, checking for a pulse that I already knew wasn't there. I can remember the times....




...where I watched her with young eyes, my head not quite taller than the workspace table in the kitchen. She would make her wheat bread, and knead it with such ferocity, pat it into a ball, pick it up, and SLAM it down on the table with a loud bang. Sometimes I'd tease her by sticking my head up the back of her shirt, and she would laugh and kick me out of the kitchen...




...the time where mom and dad went somewhere for "a long time" as I would say, because I don't know exactly. Probably a week or something. But she came to our house and babysat us for that time. It was a fun week, sometimes cuddling with her in my parents' bed at night, watching the lightning storm that raged outside...




...when Grandma and Grandpa had their coffee (or pero, in Grandma's case), Grandma would get out the tea set for me. The beautiful teapot with little China glasses. She would fill it with delicious hot chocolate. Sometimes I got to eat cookies with this. It was one of my favorite times during the visit...




...Sleeping over. We always seemed to sleep over on Friday nights. Saturday morning, she would make the most delicious french toast (I thought) and orange juice. Then we'd head off to the store, as always. Sometimes it was Ream's, and sometimes it was Food4Less...




...The time that everyone was backpacking, and Grandma was babysitting Lindsey's evil Parakeet. (I always thought it was evil because it landed on me and started climbing up my neck, grabbing it with its beak, pull itself up, grab some more skin in its beak and pull its body up more...everyone always asks why didn't I just flick it off of me. Well, I didn't want to hurt it and make Lindsey mad at me!!) Anyhow, Grandma was taking a bath, Grandpa went outside, and I was left with the bird. Somehow I accidentally let it out, it flew to behind the front door. Being a young lass, I imagined Grandpa coming in the front door, and the bird flying outside, never to be seen again, and getting yelled at and punished by EVERYONE. So I ran downstairs and hid under the round table in the extra bedroom. Five minutes later, there was commotion and hustle and bustle and everyone shouting "NATALIE!" They even came to that room and shouted my name. Tears were rolling down my eyes. The bird definitely flew out. Now they're really mad at me! After a good 10-20 minutes, I finally stopped hugging my knees, and came out to be punished. Grandma was SO relieved. Grandpa was outside, so she ran out to let him know I was safe. He came back swearing and mad, but Grandma just hugged me and asked me what was wrong. I explained. The bird was no where to be seen. But after looking behind the front door (which was now open), he was just hanging out there, and the bird was safely put back into his cage...




...Grandma always has the sweetest smile when you came to visit. She was always happy to see and get company, especially after Grandpa died...




Grandma, thank you so much for all the good memories. I love you.

2 comments:

mama rhodes said...

Maybe I'll just read your blog at Grandma's funeral. Love you lots and thanks for the memories.

Brittany said...

I love these grandma stories. I used to shop at Food4Less and Reams with my grandmother too.