Monday, October 06, 2008

Running with the ball


After a serious talk in coach's office, we have decided to let me run with the ball and come what may.

I hope I run fast enough to not get pummeled.



I only post the ones I like:

Jimmy Dillies will present "Dessins d'enfants"

Abstract: One of the key groups in arithmetic is the absolute Galois
group. So far, it has been eluding the mathematical community. In 1984,
Grothendieck suggested to understand this group by looking at its action on
dessins d'efants. Dessins d'efants (literally 'children's drawings') are
graphs drawn on Riemann surfaces, such that two neighbouring vertices have
opposite colours. In this talk we will define what the absulote Galois group
is and see how it acts on those naive objects that are dessins.

There will be pizza and discussion after the talk.


(I get an e-mail every week about the discussion for math majors for the week...)






2 comments:

Letty said...

You never told us how the other groups went?? Do you actually attend?

Good luck with the shoulder. Sorry to hear it is under the weather.

Old Warrior said...

Distressed infants? And, where did you find my old high school football pic?