Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Update on ze shoulder


So…many of you probably already know I’ve been having several problems with my left shoulder in the past year. It all started with tendonitis, turned into an impingement, disappeared over the spring, came back in the summer, I took a break from swimming altogether for about a month, and despite that rest, my shoulder is in quite a bit of pain.

Two Mondays ago, I saw a doctor and they took x-rays. Everything turned out normal (big surprise there!). Doctor informed me after examining me that I probably had an inflamed or irritated rotator cuff. He said that I won’t damage it any further, but the pain will likely increase over time. (didn’t make sense in my head, but okay.) The pain got bad enough I went back yestermonday and got a cortisol shot in the shoulder. As of right now, my shoulder feels worse than ever, I can barely raise my arm above my head. But I was told that this is normal, I have to give the shot a few days before it actually takes effect.

Coach informed me that I won’t be swimming in the first couple of meets. He is, however, tempted to make me swim a couple of events (just 50s) to see how the shoulder holds up. If it doesn’t perform well, he’s red-shirting me this year.

Let’s just hope this shot works. And if it does, there is no certainty as to how long it will last: it varies from a couple of days to 5-6 months.

So, there’s your update for you!

4 comments:

Old Warrior said...

Let's hope that old shoulder gets bettr soon! Or not...we just deal with what comes, eh?
Ask mom about her left shoulder..seems she hit the asphalt yesterday and now has a bit of an ac and a rot cuff tweak...

Brittany said...

:)

Letty said...

Poor Nat...I wish you warm fuzzy healing fairies to make it all better!

Joslynn said...

Nat,
I hope your shoulder gets better soon. But... if it doesn't... I think a permanent vacation to Logan ought to do the trick! Bwhahaha!