Sunday, September 21, 2008

vexation frustration irritation dissatisfaction heartache

Full story: Coach told us NOT to take the recruits out drinking on the recruiting trip. On Saturday night, half went ice blocking, half...went drinking. Next day (sunday) we have a mandatory team meeting at 11:00. Two people are no longer on the team for their decision to have a party at their house. One captain has lost their captaincy, and will not be allowed to travel with the team for the rest of this semester.

Coach is very embarrassed, disappointed, angry, sad, etc. I don't know what I would do if I was in his shoes. He's disappointed in those who got drunk, drank. He's disappointed that those who didn't go to the party didn't do anything about the ones who did. He's also disappointed in those who didn't even know about the party because that shows they aren't very involved with the team.

After 10 minutes of yelling at us (and crying a tad too), he left the room. And all of us had heavy hearts. One of the boys who was kicked off the team was mad that someone told the coach about the party. He said that the team should've come to him, should've held this meeting, then turn to Coach. His justification for his actions was that all of the recruiting trips he's been to, there was beer present. It's just a normal ingredient. He didn't think he'd actually get caught, let alone be punished.
Sadly, many teammates agreed with him. "We should've had this meeting before going to Coach." My question is...would they have taken the meeting serious at all? I don't think so. Teammates would've just scoffed at those who were warning, and continue on with their stupid actions.

And this isn't the first meeting we've had about drinking problems. This is the third. My lovely team got drunk then went to a football game, drunk in front of the entire student body.

Hi, I'm Natalie, and I'm a member of the "we party hardest" swim team, and I'm embarrassed to be here.

What could've I possibly done different? I honestly didn't know about the party! Gah!

5 comments:

Letty said...

Stay strong dear Edgy...You probrably didn't know because everyone knew that you wouldn't participate...that is not a bad thing.
I'm sure the coach appreciates your hard work, determination and that the anger/disappointment wasn't directed at you.
Sorry you are stuck in the middle.

Old Warrior said...

Updates, Nedge. Let us all know what is up with the team/discipline, etc. Also, how is the wing?

Lauren said...

I'm sorry Nedgie Wedgie! That is really frustrating. You can come to my house and have a Mormon party if you want. :)

Brittany said...

Oh man, Nat. I'm sorry to hear about this. Sounds like your team is falling apart right and left. Keep being strong though.

Christopher said...

I am interested in this phenomenon. I have to admit, we had many recruits that we took to parties, watched over them, made sure everyone stayed out of trouble, but some did drink at said parties. It has evolved much over the years. I'm sure our things were very tame compared to 10 years before us. This continuing trend is probably to be expected. Let me know how everything turns out.