Monday, December 03, 2007

Healing?

Last Thursday, my left shoulder started hurting more than normal. Of course I had the "Vickie Syndrome." I refused to get out right when it started hurting, because I thought it was nothing, and that the others would think I was weak and just pretending to get some time out of the pool. Only until I wasn't making the times in the workout, and the coach came to yell at me, did I confess what was wrong with me.
I don't know what the trainers think is wrong with me, but the treatments I've been having are...not what I expected to say the least. Sure, they tape up my shoulder and such, but before practice, I actually have to put gel on it, hook a weird instrument to a machine, and ultra-sound my shoulder. Apparently it helps realign the tissue that may be out of place and such.

All weekend I had the joy of having tape in a couple of different places on my shoulder. Today after afternoon practice, I finally took it off, and the trainers wouldn't put any more tape on until my skin heals. It's cut in several places, from the rubbing. So...I'm tape-free for a day! Yay!

After practice I get the joy of having my shoulder electrocuted. I don't remember the exact name of the procedure, but they put four pads on my shoulder, and the entire 20 minutes, it feels like my shoulder has fallen asleep-only it's more painful than asleep...but the same tingling sensation, anyway. The interesting thing was, my shoulder felt like it was twitching. When I looked down at my shoulder, it was convulsing violently, it looked like it had a heart in it, wildly beating to get out of my arm.
Just for kicks, I pressed at one of the pads, and the muscle convulsed even more violently for a few seconds. I push a different one, and it seizes somewhere else.

Who knew that someone couldn't only feel butterflies in their stomach, but in their shoulder?

3 comments:

Rick Edge said...

"MOM! MOM! I have magic in my [shoulder]!"

Old Warrior said...

OK--i am lousy as a physical therapist father! you are having ultrasound and electrical stimulation treatments. If you wany, i can go through the physiology and theories of why these modalities work, but the important thing is that they are helping your tissues heal a bit quicker.

swimmerchic101 said...

Hey my dad has something like that. He brings it home and we all try it out, in turns, it is pretty cool, but it kinda scares me.