Saturday, January 13, 2007

Cursed with hamsters

The only pet I was successful with was hamsters.
My brother had rats and fish.
My sister had many parakeets.
The family had dogs and cats.
I wanted a pet, too. I've always wanted a chinchilla for some insane reason, but I couldn't afford one. But I could afford a five-buck dwarf hamster. And that is what I ended up with. The problem was, my sister got one too. And those hamsters eventually had babies. We thought they were cute!
Until the babies had babies...then the babies babies had babies...and they multiplied faster than gremlins.
I had hamsters for about 6 years. And it was to the point that I gave away the mutant babies to the pet store to feed to...creatures.
But soon, the population of the hamster city went down. And I was left with a really fat runt, and a horrible cute tiny runt. The tiny runt never grew, due to a problem with his teeth. They didn't meet, so they didn't grind down...they just kept growing and growing and growing...to the point that his bottom teeth were about to stab his eye! We came up with a solution: Trim his teeth with fingernail clippers.
Needless to say, he had a hard time eating, so he forever remained very skinny.
After these last hamsters passed away, I was done with pets for the time being.
Then a couple of years later, I wanted a bird.
A dove, to be exact. And I got one. A lovely brown one with a black ring around its neck. It was beautiful, but too shy at first to sing. Mom would hear it sing. Dad would hear its call. But I was never around at the right times! When I finally heard it (it wouldn't make a peep if it saw you), I memorized its sound. Then I practiced the sound to human perfection. I walked into my room, faced it, and made the dove-noise. It responded!
Now it would make noise all the time! Cute little cooing noises. He, however, had a wonderful personality. I would let him out often so he could stretch his wings and fly around in the room. When it was time to put him back in the cage, however, he would tease. If you climbed on some furniture, and finally get within inches, he'll swiftly fly away to another high spot across the room. When he landed, he would make an evil chuckling noise. "Ha ha! I got away from you! This is a fun game!"
But somehow mom managed to let him out of his cage, leave the room door open, and the back door of the house open all at once. He flew away. I know not of his fate, though I do miss him.
The worst of all: my rabbit. I got him last summer, and he was darling. Until the dogs ripped him out of his cage and ate him.
I can't say I love the dogs anymore.
So, yes. I am cursed. The only animal I have been slightly successful with were hamsters.
I don't dare get a chinchilla, the dream pet. The dogs will get it, or mom will set it free...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the baby cat. It lived many happy years I guess about 15. It was very independent, didn't like us to pet it or notice it, just leave the food out. The cats would sleep in the wagon in the winter with blankets and a heat lamp over it. One day last winter dad said "I don't think baby cat feels very good." So before he went to bed he went out and tucked in the baby cat. Put the blankets up under the cats chin and gave it a little peck on its cheek. It went to bed satisfied looking. In the morning it looked like a cat who had seen a monster. It was all contorted and scary looking. It was also dead.
Then there was mama cat who lived even longer than baby cat. The last few years however people were a bit dismayed at her face. Cancer had eaten her nose off but she seemed not in pain. One day she never came home. Don't know what happened to her. She probably had some elephant blood in her where she went to her resting place alone when she knew it was time. That is where Reed comes in. He'll know what to do when! Yes Reed I'm counting on you.

Nedge said...

I guess cats are incapable of experiencing a naturally peaceful death. They get hit by cars, cancer, convulsions, etc. Baby cat was a good candidate to have a peaceful death. Too bad he saw...something...

Joslynn said...

Poor Nedgie!
Pets are wonderful, but they also have the potential to induce trauma in young children. I used to "save" wild baby robins and sparrows, and they all-- minus one-- died. The one that survived grew up and flew away and came to visit me on my balcony when I played music, but the rest mostly just died in my hands. It was a very sad time in my life.

Joslynn said...

And morbid and evil as it sounds, I cannot help but laugh at your experience with hamsters.

Lauren said...

We're breaking free! We're soaring, flying! There's not a star in heaven that we can't reach!

Brittany said...

Dogs: "I love you! Feed me!"
Cats: "I hate you. Feed me."

Man, I quote Mr. Davis a lot. I think of your poor rabbit (that I never saw) everytime I see your dogs. I hope that nothing happens to the chickens you will eventually get.

Letty said...

Remember the baby robin we resucued 1 1/2 years ago?? THat was a success story! Besides you are so kind hearted I'm sure all of your pets enjoyed whatever time they could get with you!

Joslynn said...

When Mr. Davis made that little crack in third period, Lindsay Helm yelled, "That is Libby to a T!!!" and we shared a private giggle concerning the mangy, ragged, balding ugliness of my feline compadre.
It was a moment of perfection.

Anonymous said...

The article Friday in the tribune was a good one I think. A reporter finally got it right about you. More than winning you want the respect of those around you. You do have the determination and "get your head right" to get done what you need to. I still remember you in the IM's when you were little. The one you beat Brittany by a bit, the one you beat the state record. The times you were determined not to let Crandall beat you. The list goes on, you've given us many thrilling monments with your ability to go beyond your best. That was nice of Justin to say you are the most hard working person he knows. He is probably still a good kid when he is not around his buddies. That is probably how it is with most high school boys! See you in the morning.