Sunday, January 14, 2007

Book review: Lord of the Flies


...Such an interesting story. For those of you who haven't read it yet, I will do my best to give nothing away (I won't do a very good job).
I enjoyed it immensely, though Golding leaves you with no hope. It's done, you don't have a choice, it's this way.
It's a powerful allegory, almost as powerful as The Crucible. It makes you stop and think about society: Does society throw evil upon man, or does man have evil in his heart?
This novel votes for the latter. It's a story that takes place during an atomic war, and a plane full of British schoolboys crashes on a small island. Only the boys survive. As they cope and organize themselves on the island, they quickly degrade and become savages, despite the fact that they are probably the world's highly civilized boys. Golding's piece of work illuminates his theory that evil lurks in every person's heart, and even the most sophisticated people can be degraded into savages.

I have to say: The scene with Simon looking at the pig head on a stick was incredibly realistic. I could vividly imagine poor Simon talking to it, trying to figure it out. And I also would like to add...Ralph was a most interesting character, and his statement did some lovely foreshadowing that sent chills down my spine: "I'm afraid of...the beast, too...but I'm afraid of us." (Probably not word-for-word, because I can't find it right at the moment...)

7 comments:

Joslynn said...

Something about Lord of the Flies makes me sick. Oh right, I remember now-- they're cannibals!
But then again, I read it in seventh grade. I'm willing to wager I did not get the full meaning of the book in my humble 12 years. Maybe I should look over it again... (shudders)

Nedge said...

Hey Jos, I don't know if you don't remember the book correctly...they didn't eat each other...they ate pigs. And they occasionally killed a person...but they didn't eat them...

Anonymous said...

I always like the Jewish outlook. A Rabbi was speaking on the radio once and said the Jewish religion believes there is a good piece in every human. No matter how bad or horrible they are somewhere there is something good you just have to look for it. Seems like books are more exciting and have a better read if there is lots of evil. How would a book keep your interest if it was about everything good? So remember there is lots of good out there we never talk about.

Joslynn said...

Right. Okay. I should definitely probably read it again.

Letty said...

I don't quite remember the character names and all but I think I found myself relating with the boy who tried to maintain his "right" mind while the rest of the world around them went darker and darker...I don't think it is too unlike the world around us. Once we embrace a cause or notion and declare it acceptable, no matter how praverse or wrong it may be. Society seems to rationalize its presence untill it is common practice (i.e. divorce, infidelity ect...). I think we have to try to stay true to what we know is right even if it means being the last one standing (Moroni comes to mind).

Letty said...

I am an optimist however therefore I belive that Good will always prevail!!! May we all see the good in eachother.

Joslynn said...

Yep. Definitely feel stupid at this point.
*Note to self: Read Lord of the Flies for real.