Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Poetry notebook

For my intro to creative writing class, we have to carry around a pocket notebook with us at all times, in case we ever get inspired. We can't rely on memory. Too many times have I come up with a brilliant image or idea, only to forget it once I get home, or to a pen and paper. We had to read an essay on poetry notebooks, and this quote struck me:
"A good notebook entry must make us jump. Blasphemy and sex are highly recommended." No, my teacher didn't write this essay, don't worry. But it got me thinking: maybe 10 years ago, those kinds of things would make someone jump.

But today it's just the opposite: write down the things that are good and uplifting, and (gasp!) spiritual! In these days, that will make many people jump.

Too often we're being dragged down every day by the horrible media, the scandals, the immorality of society, focusing on the celebrities and their mistakes. Too often the brave "common" people who quietly do the right thing are overlooked. I intend to turn that around in my writing in this class. We're only being graded on attendance and turning in our work--the teacher doesn't have to like it.

We work shopped many of our classmates' poems last night, and everyone in my class seems intent on focusing on dark subjects/objects. Here's my poem I wrote. (We couldn't use any abstract words, and had to describe four specific abstract words with objects. Mine were "justice, mercy, gratitude, peace." Yes, I did pick them from a list of sixteen words. They were the most optimistic.)

Tired Scale

I fall and tumble to
the left...to the right.
I am hardly ever balanced.

If only…

Foes shook hands,
and unlocked—the doors of
cages of wild beasts.

Then I will be balanced.

Faces will greet one another
with beaming smiles
and leaking eyes.



Everyone complained it was too obvious and not deep. Well, I'll continue working on being more subtle and using more varied vocabulary. Just be aware I wrote this in twenty minutes. (Yes, I procrastinated. Yep, I learned my lesson. Already starting on the next poem.)

2 comments:

mad dog said...

Well, sheesh, I really liked your poem!! Usually, I get a brain cramp trying to look for crazy meanings in poetry. Your words were simple and beautiful -- I like that style! I would have LOVED taking a creative writing class! Maybe you could teach me some tricks.

Thanks for the info on Heathcliff. I'm excited to read it! Now, if I can only break away from that dang Twilight series for a couple weeks. I think I'll have withdrawls.

Old Warrior said...

I liked it. Be patient with the young scholars and their need for supposed depth and meaning.....