Saturday, January 03, 2009

Freedom!

So, after almost a week here in Mexico, our Coach finally decided to let us leave our little world of just the pool and the apartments and take some cabs to downtown La Loma (San Luis Potosi?). The cab ride was very frightening, but we arrived in one piece. (Dad asked if I saw any old cab drivers, the answer is no, no I have not. They were all in their twenties.) The following are just random pictures in no particular order of the sights and sounds I saw in my two hours of exploring Mexico life in a busy marketplace on a saturday afternoon. There were many stores, streets and streets that wound and curved, so we weren't always sure where we were. After the stores end, the marketplace begins, where you can buy anything. And I mean anything. My favorite part was the section where there were lots of tools, and you can hand someone your shoe, and they'll tear it apart and put it back together, better than before. There was also a station where you could get your scissors sharpened.
I admire Mexico's national emblem. It's pretty awesome.

This was in some building--they really really decorate their nativity scenes from this to disco balls, and all.


It doesn't seem like it here, but there were thousands and thousands of people on the streets.



Among the wares were these...sketchy sweatshirts.










I believe it's a cathedral. Is that what they're called? It was interesting: it was like Mexico's Temple Square. The market surrounds this building on all four sides.
Another shot of the Cathedral. Sidenote: when I took this picture, the bells were ringing.
Inside, it was very very very elaborate. From the stain glass windows, to the organ, etc. I'm just glad that casual bystanders can't just waltz into the Temples, snap a few shots (like I did) and leave.



My teammates practicing our sweet yoga moves while we wait for a cab or two to go back to our little haven in the middle of a rich town where we see no one.

2 comments:

Old Warrior said...

More! Want pics and more descriptions. Mom and I had a harrowing cab ride on our one trip to Mexico. Much more frightening than the daily 50-80 miles on the bikes! Don't know how those cabbies survive very long--did you notice any older cab drivers?....

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Good for you guys to adventure out in the wild. Did you get your shoes re-shoed?