Friday, June 20, 2008

What to do?!

It's hard to decide whether I should act now or later, but I know I must act.

The entire swim team got pulled out of the swim meet this weekend because our hearts were not in it. Now we are practicing twice a day, today and tomorrow (which is saturday, by the way...).

Here's what frustrates me: a couple of teammates were doing great at this meet, and were on the brink of getting sectional cuts (a big swim meet). But because the other teammates refused to get mentally into this meet, we aren't swimming in the meet anymore.

Greg let us know why we're practicing rather than swimming at the meet this morning for about a half-hour, let us give input and talk about it a little. Then we had a nice hard workout.

Here's the kicker: after practice, I put in my hearing aids, and what do I hear? "Oh, yeah! There was this time where I didn't want to swim this race, so I just swam slow, and my coach totally yelled at me...." "Yeah, that's happened to me too!" etc. etc. etc.

And here is this disappointed teammate, watching her opportunity to qualify for sectionals slip away...gone. And the rest of her teammates, TEAMMATES, are just laughing about it, talking about times they purposely swam slow, etc. She turns to me and says, "They don't even care!" and chokes up.

What do I do?! I must do something. Greg said halfway through last season that we are the nicest, most apologetic team he's ever seen. (That's not a good thing.) He wants some teammates to be "b----es." He needs people to be pushing, not necessarily nice, to be willing to push their teammates to the limit, to strive to make their teammates better.

It's been about six months since he said that. And no one has stepped up to the plate. Maybe it's supposed to be me. Maybe I'm the one that's supposed to be the jerk, the one who hammers down on others in an effort to make the team better. Man, I wish it wasn't. But apparently, it's a job that needs to be done, since my teammates are serious (or seemingly so) when Greg lectures and is in the same room, but...I guess we need a couple more "jerks."

I don't know if I can do it. I don't want to do it, that's for sure. I have to figure out a way to go about it to make sure the message gets across, but still get respected. We had a teammate last year who tried to be the one who lectures and pushes, but everyone rolled their eyes at her and made fun of her behind her back. I want to be respected...

At least they can talk about me in front of me. I wouldn't know. :)

2 comments:

Old Warrior said...

I don't know. I almost think I think that the best you can do is work hard, be an example, smile and encourage your teammates that way. I don't know if any lasting motivation can come from other than one's self. There can be triggers, but the real change/motivation needs to be internal. I think. Maybe I need to think some more about this:)

Letty said...

hummm....you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
I say you encourage by example and then if you do hear those off handed comments inquire further (actually interested) as to Why they purposely swam slow.
I think the sincere inquiry (sans the judgmental overtones) would make them actually reflect on their performance and how it ultimately effects the team.
I don't think you could pull off yelling and stomping your feet. You are a strong swimmer and I'm sure they respect your judgment and concern for the team.