Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Just a thought from a young 'un. (what do I know, anyway?)

Perhaps one of the reasons why we don't stay young, in our prime, for the rest of our days is because we need to learn something new.

It would be wonderful to be strong and healthy to the end of your days.

But we grow older, lose some of our strength, some of our eyesight, hearing, whatnot. Perhaps this happens because we need to learn. In growing older, we learn patience, long suffering, humility, and gratitude among many characteristics.

We've learned what we needed to learn when we were 18. To continue our journey on to perfection, we need to attain other characteristics. Some of them simply come with age if we take the right attitude and willingness to learn.

Hopefully we are humble and willing enough to learn every lesson and attribute that comes our way. I hope to look back on my life and say, "hey, I did a pretty good job of trying to learn everything I could. I did try to become more humble, more patient, more grateful, etc. When this trial came along, this is what I got out of it. And I became a better person because of it."

2 comments:

Old Warrior said...

Sometimes-no, often-the trials and our response are the great definers of how our lives "turn out". I often have folks my age talk about how their kids have "turned out". Heck, even at my advanced age, I hope I have a long way to go before I "turn out". This learning stuff and growing/changing is indeed a lifetime activity! I think you are doing great for a punk kid!

Letty said...

There certainly seems to be an abundance that I still need to learn. However i remember in my younger years that it all seemed so much clearer and clean cut.
I'm glad you have a bit more perspective than I had at your age.