Sunday, August 06, 2006

Dreams are SO weird....

Well, before I tell you my very strange dream, you need some background information that is necessary to understand a few things (or one thing...). I watched Sense and Sensibility for the first time right before I went to sleep for the night. For all of you who haven't seen the movie (or don't realize a certain element from it), there is a certain actor in the movie named Alan Rickman. His character in the movie was named Colonel Brandon, who was a good, nice guy. Alan Rickman's role in another movie, however, is quite the opposite. He is Professor Snape in the Harry Potter movies.
Okay, my dream. I dreamed that I got to meet the actor Alan Rickman, only his name was Severus Snape, and he acted out the part of Colonel Brandon. I got to ask Snape the simple question, "Why?" As in, why did he kill Dumbledore. And he gave me a long explanation (that probably took up a good hour of my sleep...as dreams seem so slow for so little information...): He in fact, did not kill Dumbledore, and that he was actually a good guy. He explained to me that Harry needs to continue on his own, to develop his own personal power and will. The murder of Dumbledore was staged, and that the Dumbledore that Harry saw killed was, in fact, a old cow that was transformed. The explanation was more complicated than that, and I can't really explain. You know how dreams are...it's more of a feeling.
Anyway, in my dream, Harry eventually catches up to Snape, kills him, and turns evil because of his rage and becomes worse than He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (Voldemort).
(Be aware that a ton of random, strange stuff happens between the lines, but I don't remember them as clearly as the details I gave you thus far...)
Then my light snaps on. (My light is my alarm, it turns on when I set it to turn on, as I can't hear an alarm...) I forgot to turn off my alarm! So, I snap it back off, and I dream about Jack Sparrow and something about four green dots, and their significance. Strange.
I wake back up. Time: 8:34. Church starts at 9:00. Uh-oh. I run up, get ready, leave my house at 8:47 to walk to church.
And, obviously, I'm still disturbed by the dream(s) I had last night. Maybe I'm wishfully thinking in my subconscious that Dumbledore really isn't dead, and that Snape is still a good guy. What do you think?
Me, I'm obviously disturbed by Snape's actions, and I'm still holding out hope for him, that he can be a good guy...I'll probably be very disappointed in him when the next book comes out...I guess you can hope too much for someone to be good...I just don't know! :)

After seeing Sense and Sensibility, I can never look at Alan Rickman again. I guess I get too caught up in the story, and realize that the actors are real people, and they probably aren't as evil as they act. (I hope. Sometimes I wonder...)

17 comments:

Joslynn said...

First of all, let me start out by saying that I feel ridiculous for how frequently I check your blog.

Now on to comment #1 of fifty...
I have a friend who is obsessed with Alan Rickman. Why? I do not know. I do not fancy him good looking. I suppose he is a good character in S & S, but Snape? There is simply no explanation.
Then there is the puzzle of Harry Potter. Dumbledore's death left me so shocked and in the dark as to hardly allow me to begin hypothesizing on Rowling's rationale, and I probably never will, for fear of being persecuted of my ideas. Of course, I would like to believe that Dumbledore is not dead. We would all like to think that. Your thoughts on the subject actually seem pretty sound. I wouldn't at all be surprised if you were right.

Nedge said...

Don't feel ridiculous for frequently checking my blog, though I must admit that I'm very flattered and more than mildly surprised.

I don't know why your friend would be obsessed with Rickman. That's kind of creepy. He isn't the greatest looking, and his voice annoys in its drawling tone.

The puzzle of Harry Potter is driving me insane! I'm trying to avoid thinking about it at all costs, so now I'm dreaming about it, trying to figure it out! ;)

So, you think I'm right, eh? Harry Potter will, after all, succeed, but turn more evil than Voldy?

I heard that Rowling actually told Alan Rickman if Snape is loyal or evil. I wonder if he takes bribes? (Not that he needs money...)

Nedge said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nedge said...

I had to delete that comment, as I posted it twice. Now I'm commenting again. What was I originally going to say?...Oh yes. I wish that Rowling would just hurry up and write that book so I can read it, instead of stalling, waiting for the best moment, when she'll make the most money! Auuugh! If she doesn't, I'll do it for her!!! :)

Nedge said...

I think I should change my profile picture. It's kind of old.

Nedge said...

What did you mean by "Now on to comment #1 of fifty"? Do you really believe we'll make that many comments? I don't think so.

Joslynn said...

I believe we could, if we wanted to.

Joslynn said...

I love your blog!
Alan Rickman looks like some kind of animal. Not sure which. We'll have to figure it out.
I try very hard not to think of Harry Potter. Maybe the whole thing was a big conspiracy, and Harry really is in league with Voldermort! Or maybe Dumbledore is... something. I don't know. I'm too tired to think.
If Rickman takes bribes... what do you mean 'not that he needs money'? Are you suggesting we could get him to tell us with excessive offerings of... tootsie pops?

Joslynn said...

I wish you would write the next Harry Potter book. That would be so entertaining.

Nedge said...

You know, I would totally mess it up, and make it a musical comedy. It seems like every time I attempt to write a story, it sounds like a comedy, and a musical....heh. I don't think I'm dark-minded enough to make Voldemort look evil. After I finish messing up the last book, Voldemort would've only been an illusion in Harry's mind, or something, and that Harry is the Man of La Mancha. (Also known as Don Quixote)...or something truly bizarre and uncalled for like that.

Joslynn said...

You mean, Harry would not be a 17 year old British boy, but rather a dirty old spaniard who hallucinates all his adventures?
I think that would add quite the clever twist. You should do it.

Nedge said...

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Wouldn't that be interesting? It's just another of Don Quixote's hallucinations...

Melissa said...

1. Rickman is a great actor.
2. I'm still holding out hope for
Snape.
3. The new blog look is swanky.

Joslynn said...

Love the new blog!
I am flattered that you are following in my footsteps. Okay, okay. I'm just flattering myself. But still!

Nedge said...

Of course you should be flattered, Jos! Imitation is the best form of flattery! ;)
Melissa-I agree wholeheartedly I believe that Alan Rickman is a VERY good actor! He can do so many different roles so well! He can be the seemingly evil person, and the nice gentleman, and the I'm-not-really-an-alien role (galaxyquest).

Brittany said...

Wow. I wish I had dreams like yours. I wish I had dreams period.

Joslynn said...

Nat: That is one quote from Anne of Green Gables (one of a million) that I have always remembered.
Brittany: You can have dreams if somebody awakens you unexpectedly, remember?
Or maybe that was all just a dream...