Monday, September 12, 2005

Hippos




Hippos are very interesting creatures. If I could spend a day being any animal I liked, I'd choose to be the hippopatomus. Yes, the big H.

The reason I pick a hippo is because every person that I have met has very little knowledge of the life of a hippo. Truth to tell, I don't know very much about hippos, but I probably should know more...

It'd be cool to be a gigantic creature that can eat on land and sleep in the water. The only hippos I have seen are on "Tarzan" and in the zoo. The only things I know about them are: They are very stinky, and they have big teeth, and they are big creatures...

Here is the short version of the encyclopedia definition of what an hippo is: herbivorous, river-living mammal of tropical Africa. The large hippopotamus, Hippopotamus amphibius, has a short-legged, broad body with a tough gray or brown hide. The mouth is wide, and the incisors and lower canines are large ivory tusks that grow throughout life. The eyes are near the top of the head, so the animal can see when nearly submerged. Hippopotamuses usually live in herds of about 15 animals. Much of their time is spent standing or swimming underwater, where they feed on aquatic plants; they must rise to breathe every 5 minutes or so.

Interesting...I'd like to be a hippo.

No comments: