Saturday, February 28, 2009

DONE!!!

So, I didn't do as well as I hoped, but I'm still pleased with my performance. I did well, except for a couple of "chokes," where I was so tense and nervous that I didn't perform to my full capacity. I got no new personal best times, but I was right on the mark, which surprised me after training half the season on a bike. I thought it was pretty impressive I was almost as quick as I was last year on a good(ish) shoulder. :)

On Friday night, right before my 200 free, I was all alone on a black carpet, black curtains surrounding me. (It's the "prep" room for the finalists in events, and the others hadn't shown up yet.) Trying to calm down and relax, I was flat on my back, eyes shut, and all of a sudden a beautiful song was being blared on the speakers. (I assume it was blaring because I can't really hear, and I could hear this perfectly.) I never really heard it before (and you'll be shocked to know that because EVERYONE knows this song apparently), but it was "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond. When I get back, I'm going to borrow a few CD's from the library. :)

Speaking of which, any musicians that I should know about? (I can't hear well, so I have to meticulously discover them myself, even if I've heard their stuff hundreds of times on the radio or whatnot I usually don't hear it very well, so I just tune it out...) They can be old or new, I like the ones my friends have suggested so far!!!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I love that you're just now discovering Neil Diamond.

Nice work on the swimming.

Letty said...

Great job NAT!!! Way to go. AS for other musicians...I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Rick Edge said...

Nice work, Nat. Yes, you are fast. Neil Diamond?

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it one of the Etheringtons that would play non-stop neil diamond during swim practices?

mad dog said...

Congratulations! You are such a strong swimmer and person, mentally as well as physically. I admire your positive attitude!

Ben often sings me that Diamond song, but substitutes "Madeline" for "Caroline." It makes me blush.

One band we like is Journey. Our favorite song is "Don't stop believing." For some reason I had that song in my head while I was reading your blog, so I decided to tell ya about it. I bet you've heard of it!