Sunday, February 08, 2009

MRI

As most of you well know, I've been having problems with my left shoulder for the past year and a half. My coach wants me to get surgery asap right after NCAA's (if I make it that far). So a couple of Fridays (Jan 30th) ago, I had an MRI. Very interesting experience. I discovered that MRIs are both underrated and overrated. I got some dye injected into my shoulder to add some contrast so tears would show up better if there were any. The doctor had me lie down on a bed, and put an x-ray machine over, that displayed my bones then and there live! She had a metal rod, and was moving it around my shoulder, looking for the best entrance for a needle to get straight to the joint. After picking a spot, she put a bunch of sanitizing gunk on my shoulder that turned it yellowish-rust. Then injected some stuff into my shoulder.

Then I proceeded to the MRI itself. I had to take out my hearing aids, since they have metal in them, and I was putting my body into a big white magnetic coffin. Having to hold perfectly still for 20 minutes wasn't that hard, since I had no room to move. The ceiling of the coffin was about two inches from my face, so I'm pretty sure I was cross-eyed when my eyes were open. (About 90% I just rested my eyelids.)

After getting all that done, I waited impatiently Monday for results. The doctor was out til Thursday!

I finally got my results on Friday (the 6th), I expected to hear that they found nothing. That's what happened to a few swimmers, but when they scoped, they actually found something. With me, however, they found a labral tear. I don't know how little or big it is, etc., I'm hoping to get the MRI images from my doctor so I can take a peek myself. Or at least get a meeting with my doctor so we know what's going on, and exactly what he thinks.

The most relieving thing about all this? Now I know it's not mental. Sometimes I was convinced it was.

4 comments:

Letty said...

I can't imagine you making up a injury. You are always so task oriented and focused.
I hope things turn out to be fixable with the least amount of surgery.
Good luck! Will you get to post some pictures??? That would be cool to see.

Tanner's Tales said...

I have the same problem-if something hurts, I'm convinced it's mental. I think it's Mom's fault.

Anonymous said...

Yea, everything is always Mom's fault. But guess what? You are now the Mom! Actually with Grandma here I am realizing how mean I am. I always think the way she is acting is in her head but I also know that probably most of it is physiologic. I think of Vickie Hodgson, now there is a very nice and compassionate person. I think to be more like her but it is hard. My first thought is to go to your room until you are better!

Old Warrior said...

I think it will be a small tear, wiht you being as functional as you are. Cured with therapy/rest or very minor surgery. In the meantime, Smile, Swim fast and, above all, Enjoy!