Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Logic

So...I have a full-ride scholarship.

For some reason, many people (athletes and non-athletes alike) will try to make me feel bad or guilty that I "have it so easy." They rant about how lucky I am, how I don't have to do anything-this money is literally plopped onto a platter and set right in front of me.

While I head off to my next grueling workout to earn this money, they walk over to whine to a friend on how they didn't have the shirt they wanted at American Eagle, so they bought three different ones. Then they brag about their new car, or their new jeans from Buckle (they're about the same price) they bought last weekend.

How does that work? "I'm going to whine at you because you get to workout your butt off to go to college while I have to pay for everything that I claim I can't afford. But I'm going shopping this weekend at stores with articles that are priced three times they're actually worth. Want to come?"

4 comments:

Old Warrior said...

yeah--"full ride" is not the same as "free ride". I remember calculating that, if I worked all the hours that I practiced, had meetings, games, travel, etc, that I would only need to earn about $1.50/hr to pay for the "full ride" I had. And you are in a sport with much more work time devoted to it. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

You have a full ride and with it comes a great body plus add a bunch of good character traits that you've learned. Those things are priceless and may not come with "working a job" So keep up your good example and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Letty said...

I do feel envious of your ability to acquire a "full ride", but mostly it is because i wish that i had that much focus and ability at that age in my life. The fact that you have dedicated so much time/energy to make yourself a great swimmer is admiring! I do hope you enjoy it though.
Not everyone has the talent, or strength to dedicate so much of their life to something.

Lauren said...

Can I take a whak at whotthe American Eagle and Buckle fans are?