Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ellipsis


Hi. My name is Natalie. And I'm an ellipsis addict.

Ellipsis(ĭ-lĭp'sĭs):
1. a)The omission of a word or phrase necessary for a complete syntactical construction but not necessary for understanding.
b)An example of such omission.
2. A mark or series of marks ( . . . or * * * , for example) used in writing or printing to indicate an omission, especially of letters or words.

Meh. The dictionary doesn't put into words what I feel for this wonderful device. The ellipsis, or as I like to call it, the "dot dot dots," is such a wonderful versatile tool. Perhaps I don't use it correctly, but if poets use it the way I use it, it must be okay. The dictionary is correct: the ellipsis is very useful when using quotes that are too long for essays. You can use the ellipsis to omit phrases that aren't necessary, so you can be direct and to the point. Professors like that. So do I.

My favorite way to use the ellipsis isn't defined in any of the dictionaries I've looked in. That's probably a bad sign, meaning I don't use it correctly, and probably use it way too often. I like to use ellipsis to imply further unstated thought, a pause, or to lead on...

Sometimes I even use it to mean "et cetera." Sometimes I put it after a statement I've said to a friend in a text, so they are allowed to think what they want. When you text or write, it's hard to get the tone of your voice heard. Sometimes the ellipsis helps the audience understand that perhaps you're being sarcastic, ironic, or joking.

3 comments:

Old Warrior said...

so, did you draw that cute l'il goat, or....>

Letty said...

I concur. I too use it much too frequently and probrably incorrectly. Oh, well...:0)

Rick Edge said...

Just don't start talking in ellipsis.

Is that goat visiting the little prince?