Thursday, November 01, 2007

Roald Dahl




As I was walking back to my dorm, for some strange reason, I started thinking about my favorite books I loved reading when I was younger. And many of the books that came to mind were written by the famous Roald Dahl.
What makes his literature so compelling to readers of every age?
I think it's because his stories were (and are) so unique, so realistic and believable. Plus, even when adults read his stories, they all chuckle and enjoy them. I think we all wish we had such a vivid imagination. I wish I still retained the huge imagination I had when I was younger. Where'd my blissful imaginary worlds go? I swore I would never forget them. But I never found the second star to the right. I grew up, grrr!

My favorite book of his will probably have to be "Boy." This is a simple yet hillarious compilation of his childhood experiences. Reading this book helps me see where he got all his ideas, and where many of his stories came from.

What do you think is so wonderful about his literature?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he does wonderful work in getting what is in kids' heads onto the page so we can share the insights and magic even when we are old adult-type people.\Thanks for reminding me.. Perhaps I need a little dose of BFG tonight...

Anonymous said...

Is this leading to a second Enlish major in the family? Maybe I should go back and make it 3...

Letty said...

I loved "boy" too. I love the wacky stories he would write...like the witches it really is one of the only books I remember my elementary school teachers reading in the class. Thanks for the sweet reminder.

Rick Edge said...

My favorites were George's Marvelous Medicine and the classic The Twits.
If you wander into the basement of the Marriott library, be careful with his short stories.
I liked his kid stuff better.

Anonymous said...

yes, I remember jamison bringing the short stories home, and Dad confiscated them from me and gave you a lecture for letting me see them. In elementry we started reading Matilda, but parents complained that R.D. was too graphic, so we quit reading. Never was a class of kids more dissapointed.