Saturday, May 20, 2006

Waterpolo, and...life.

This is Elyse , and no, she ain't kissin'. Also shown here is our awesome goalie, Timbrell. She has been named the best goalie of the state.



Water polo is such an interesting sport. I honestly still don't know why I do it. I mean, who wants to get in an uncomfortably tight suit (has to be tight, harder to grab...), put on a colored cap, whose function is to protect your ears from getting ripped off, jump in a pool of icy cold water, swim hard as you can, get dunked, kicked, bit, punched, slapped, splashed, grabbed, and picked, while your goal is to get this yellow volleyball in a net. After every hard game, my shoulder feels dislocated, I add a few more bruises to my collection, and I am very, very tired. Still, it's one of the funnest things I have ever participated in.

But to tell you the truth, the harder games are the funner games. The games you win easily leave you empty. You ain't overjoyed, nor happy, just...empty. But when you play in a game where you'd rather die than finish it, and win, you couldn't feel better or grander. You feel like you can smile alll day. (Then you realize trying to smile all day like Barbie is more painful than it looks.) Then the next day, when you wake up all sore and aching, you smile again, at the memory of such a nice, hard, all out game.


Sometimes life is the same way for me. I've noticed that many want the easy life, to be rich, to not have to work hard, or do anything. I don't think I could do that. I like to work hard. I like to learn, and to build things, and to do as much as I possibly can. There's a chapter in Anna Karenina, where a man named Levin, who is rich, goes and works with the peasants in the fields. "Often Levin had admired this life...the idea presented itself definitely to his mind that it was in his power to exchange the dreary, artificial, idle, and individualistic life he was leading for this laborious, pure, and socially delightful life." (Part three, Chapter XII) I've realized for the first time that if I happened to get rich, I would still want to work, and build, and learn.

By the way, we won the game last night, and we're in the championships with the upper hand!

Update: We won the championships! It was a purty dern hard game, tew.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Wha ho! Congratulations. That is incredibly cool.
I've always thought
Water Polo = World's Toughest Sport.
On the "Man, those althetes are TOUGH" scale.
I've never played it, but that's just my completely subjective observer's opinion.

Also, tangential to the point, I was so much more interested in Levin & Kitty's storyline in Anna Karenina than Anna & Vronsky. I kept saying, "C'mon Tolstoy, get back to that Levin dude." Good book, that one.

Melissa said...

Accidentally posted that twice, so I had to delete one. Then, I had to explain myself. So, um, three comments from me today. Props to Nedge, Champion of the World.

Brittany said...

Congratulations yo! This calls for a celebration. It's about time Skyline got a good kick in the pants. That makes it sound like they had a good laugh, or that they're funny. That's not what I mean at all. Hmmm...it's about time they got what they deserved. Darn, it doesn't have enough umph to it now. You know what I mean.

Nedge said...

Melissa,
I have to agree...I did like Levin & Kitty's storyline better...it was more...fulfilling? I can't think of the word. I looked at my post and I thought, "How did I get FOUR comments?" But you explained it well.
Water Polo ain't the toughest sport. Crocheting is. I will never conquer it.

Melissa said...

People tell me knitting's harder so I don't even mess with that pansy crochet nonsense. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. Deep down, you know it's fear.

It's nice to think, if nothing else, my mishaps are good for padding the comment count.

Brittany said...

A story for the beach bum, and her seventh comment:

Once upon a time, Brittanica sat upon her couch to watch a home video of Nedge playing waterpolo.

After the game was over, freaky things appeared on the screen. Brittanica watched a hair-dryer lowered slowly into a bathtub, a random hand lighting a match and throwing it into a stove, the same random hand opening a drawer of knives, and a panoramic shot of toxic household chemicals on a shelf. There was also a tuba player practicing their scales in the background.

Just as Brittanica almost passed out in fear, the Beatles came on. Weirdest thing. Ever. Four hours later, the footage was still rolling. It appears that Nedge's family had recorded the Beatles Anthology a long, long time ago, and if it weren't for the intriguing freaky shots following the water polo game, it've been lost to us forever.

Let's watch it soon. Have you seen the first part with all the dangerous shots that your mom did?

Nedge said...

Brittanica,
Uh, yes, I have seen those shots. I'm sorry to hear that they freaked you out. Thank goodness for the Beatles. Otherwise, I don't believe you would be here today.