Wednesday, November 04, 2009

November already?

The "Juniors 9" (Trying to be like the "Jackson 5"). This was our team for "Peak Week," which takes place during fall break. We're on call 24/7 for swim practice, since NCAA rules don't apply. A very hard week.
Dancing "Thriller" during movie trivia practice. (We got the question correct, and had to do a "dance party" while those teams who got the answer wrong had to do a hard set.)

It's November already?! Where did the time go? Wow.

Dad just got his knee surgery yesterday, talked to him on the phone, and it sounded like it went well. I hope to find some time to visit him tonight. He said they took pictures of it on mom's camera. Perhaps I'll take my computer tonight and see if I can upload a couple for the world to see.

Life is going well, and is flying by fast. I've had a couple of good first meets, I'm swimming better than I thought I would.

Nothing new is going on, just being the same old me. Swimming. Schooling. Sleeping. Slurping. Snaffling. Oh, and I learnt the Thriller dance with some of my teammates.

I'm really enjoying my math classes, and a couple of my education classes. The only one I really enjoy out of the three education classes is ELP: education law policy. It's really fascinating to understand just what rights students and teachers give up when they are in the school setting.

It's amazing how out of hand some zero-tolerance policies can get: We talked about a case where a 12-year old girl brought a store-bought cake to class for her birthday. Inside the box was a plastic knife to cut the cake, put there by her mother. The teacher cuts up the cake with the knife, then sends the girl to the principal's office where she was suspended.
Or the time three kindergarteners were playing cops and robbers at recess. They were suspended for three days for pretending to shoot each other.

And I come from a high school where I took a pocket knife on A days for my woods class. (Very handy for getting the slivers out). Sometimes without thinking, I pulled it out during other classes to get one of those stupid slivers out. I was never even warned. I think no one cared. And yet, at a high school close to mine, a student was suspended for having a pocket knife in the glovebox in his car. Very interesting
.

2 comments:

mad dog said...

The administration at Kearns understands that the kids need weapons in order to survive the school day.

Glad to hear things are going well! What is "snaffling?" Wait, maybe I don't want to know.

freddyfly said...

Hehehe so true mad dog ;) I'm not sure how I survived with out a weapon there!

I can't believe it's November either! I only have like a month left of school...ever!